Blue Prism Product

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

This community covers the core Blue Prism product.

• 1.  #BPTechTips - Multiples Environment variables

Posted 06-06-2021 16:22

Hello everyone, everything good?
    It may seem like a simple tip, but it helped me a lot in extensive processes.

Before approaching the solution I would like to mention the importance of using environment variables in your automations, thus reducing the need to change the code many times just to change a path of a file that is flat inside the stream.

Come on..
    I recently worked on a huge process and it had about 30 different folder paths, so basically I needed to have 30 environment variables and that would make it very cluttered and hard to find a path in between 30 variables, so what was the solution?

I created a JSON Structure with two "columns" ID_Name and Path

[
       {
          "ID_Name":"FOLDER XYZ",
          "Path":"PATH HERE"
       },
       {
          "ID_Name":"FOLDER XPTO",
          "Path":"PATH HERE"
       }
    ]

And with the action JSON to Collection (skipping JArray) of the VBO JSON Manipulate I was able to convert this JSON to collection.
    So like all paths in a collection, I created a filter collection stage, whenever I needed a path, I passed the ID_Name "FOLDER XYZ" as in the example above in the filter and returned a single path that was what I needed with this to be able to have one greater degree of organization within my process without needing to get lost among so many environment variables and by using environment variables I allow the paths to be changed without the need to change anything within my robotic flow.

Link to VBO
    JSFiddle

#BPTechTips

------------------------------
    Emerson Ferreira
    Sr Business Analyst
    Avanade Brasil
    +55 (081) 98886-9544
    If my answer helped you? Mark as useful!

• 2.  RE: #BPTechTips - Multiples Environment variables

Posted 06-07-2021 15:14
    appreciate this approach however this may increase a risk probability if support team is updating the value very frequently. they may end up interrupting the JSON format. This just need an additional layer of precaution.

Tushar Varshney
    Senior Consultant - Intelligent Automation
    Ernst & Young India
    +91-9880188366

• 3.  RE: #BPTechTips - Multiples Environment variables
    Best Answer

Posted 06-07-2021 15:23
    Oh yes! @Tushar Varshney I didn't address this aspect because I believe that each operation must have governance and risk management, for example there is a team dedicated to X automations so all support is given by this team and there is a cataloging and formalization of everything that was done, requiring evidence that in fact the change was successful and automation works normally.

On the part of the flow, even with this approach of "Collection" and filtering, there is a whole logic of validation and verification, such as validating if the path exists and validating if the file exists.

If something is wrong in the JSON structure, an exception will be thrown informing the error and the support team will take action.​

Emerson Ferreira
    Sr Business Analyst
    Avanade Brasil
    +55 (081) 98886-9544

• 4.  RE: #BPTechTips - Multiples Environment variables

Posted 06-11-2021 09:19
    Hi, Emerson,

why don't you use excel config file where you can have a label and the value and through transformation of collection you can get whatever you need. Excel is structured, easy to modify, simple to see.

We use it in our processes as the first step to read everything from excel and avoid using extensive environment variables as it is very difficult to manage. If you have a separate excel file for each process and in excel you can even have three worksheets - DEV, TEST, PROD - you have all your configuration parameters in one place for all environments.

Regards,

Zdenek

Zdeněk Kabátek
    Head of Professional Services
    NEOOPS
    http://www.neoops.com/
    Europe/Prague

• 5.  RE: #BPTechTips - Multiples Environment variables

Posted 06-11-2021 13:18
    Hi, @Zdeněk Kabátek
    I appreciate your answer, and I found it interesting, could you tell me a little about how you manage these files, permissions, etc.. ​​​

Emerson Ferreira
    Sr Business Analyst
    Avanade Brasil

• 6.  RE: #BPTechTips - Multiples Environment variables

Posted 06-11-2021 13:19
    This sounds better approach. I too use a similar structure in the excel sheet but I use a single sheet with 3 separate columns for Dev, UAT, and Prod. So as per one of my first line value called Environment = UAT/Dev/Prod , excel will pick up the value from that particular column. This can be achieved with simple excel formula.

Thanks & Regards,
    Tejaskumar Darji
    Sr. RPA Consultant-Automation Developer

Welcome to the Blue Prism Product Community!

Whether you’re looking to manage a complex infrastructure, maintain security and compliance, bring new products to market faster, or gain operational speed and agility in an uncertain economy, Blue Prism delivers — with the flexibility you need to create the business you want. From deployment on-premise, through a cloud service provider or as SaaS, to a skillful and adaptable digital workforce that continually expands to meet your enterprise needs, you can gain enhanced operational insight and control while your people reclaim the time they need to focus on great work.

Product PageKnowledge BaseBlue Prism Training Offering

FAQs

Blue Prism is intelligent automation — business-developed, no-code automation that pushes the boundaries of robotic process automation (RPA) to deliver value across any business process in a connected enterprise.

A combination of RPA with expanded cognitive and AI capabilities, Blue Prism is different than other automation technology on the market. With one Blue Prism license, you gain instant access to an already AI equipped digital workforce, along with the tools you need to build and delegate automations. Click here for more information on Blue Prism and Intelligent Automation.
To learn more about how Blue Prism can help your organization and how much it will cost to get started, please Contact our Sales department.
Blue Prism can be downloaded from our customer portal. If you would like to consume or download any material it is necessary to create an account on the Portal. Once you have registered, you can access the download options for Blue Prism here.
Yes! Installed on your own machine and supported by our training materials and product documentation, you can use all the features of the full enterprise product for free with our Blue Prism Trial – giving you the opportunity to learn the basics before moving to a full production implementation. Click here for more information and to download the trial.
Yes! You can access our known issue list for Blue Prism from our Support Portal.
Regardless of your industry, Blue Prism’s Digital Workforce can adhere to strict governance and compliance standards without limiting productivity. Click here for more information on how your industry can benefit from Blue Prism.