I'm using 'Get Emails by Subject' from NEOOPs Ms Outlook VBO to retrieve the Entry ID on Process 1. I then interact with any applicable emails, save attachments, send attachments for OCR and then I move said email into another folder at the same level as 'Inbox'. I pass Item Data from this queue to the queue for Process 2.
Process 2 picks up the OCR output, runs through the remainder of the logic and at that stage I forward the original email to the business area. Its whenever I use 'Forward Email' from MS Outlook VBO that I get 'operation failed'. It can be a few days before the output is there to run Process 2.
I had thought that perhaps this delay between Process 1 and Process 2 could be causing this however I tested it with a new case and ran Process 1 and 2 within seconds and the error persists.
Paul CURRAN Certified BluePrism Developer Robotics Team AXA Insurance dac
Springtown Business Park
BT48 0GY T: 01 8876329 E: email@example.com P Please consider the environment before printing this email.