Trials

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Discuss and learn more about Blue Prism Trials, including the on-prem trial, the Azure Cloud trial, and the Learning Edition.
Expand all | Collapse all

Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

• 1.  Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Posted 02-12-2020 14:14
    Edited by Chris Strong 02-14-2020 03:00
    Hi, I've encountered an error after installing Blue Prism Learner edition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Raj

------------------------------
    Raj Neelam

• 2.  RE: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Posted 02-13-2020 01:53
    Did you download the correct file as per your machine OS CPU?
     64 bit installer? Normally retry downloading the file from the website.

Vivek Goel
    "If you like this post, please press the "Recommend" Button.

• 3.  RE: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Posted 02-13-2020 08:25
    Hi Vivek, I restarted the machine and the installation was a success. However, I now get a License error asking me to contact Tech support. Thank you

Raj Neelam

• 4.  RE: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Posted 02-13-2020 05:13

Hello Raj,

Assumption: You are attempting to install the Blue Prism Learning Edition v6.6 (64-bit)

We've seen a couple of these this week for the first time, and the strange thing is that Learning Edition has been unchanged since September 2019.

We haven't got to the bottom of this yet, so hopefully we can help each other.

Questions:

1. Is this a brand-new installation on the computer for the first time or are you attempting to re-install?
    2. What operating system are you running on?
      • Tip: A screenshot, using Windows search and searching winver will provide this information.

Rationale for asking: The information may help us narrow down the cause of the issue.

Steps to troubleshoot:

1. Check whether Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB is installed
      • Tip: Windows Settings > Apps & features

If Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB is not installed:

1. Check that Blue Prism has deployed the Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB installer to your computer
      • By default, this is C:\Program Files\Blue Prism Limited\Blue Prism Automate\Installers\SqlLocalDB.msi
      • Where C:\Program Files is the location you choose to install Blue Prism
    2. Check the following Windows registry key is correct:
      • Tip: Windows search and searching regedit will bring up the Windows Registry Editor
      • Open the Location: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blue Prism Limited\Automate
      • Review the Data set in the LocalDB registry key

My guess right now is that the LocalDB key exists, but the data is not set correctly to the location of Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB.  If this is the case, populating the Data in the key may resolve, but not actually tell us what caused the issue in the first place.

Let me know how you get on with the above and I'll attempt to help further.

Screenshots: 

Chris Strong
    Product Manager
    Blue Prism

• 5.  RE: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Posted 02-13-2020 08:27
      |   view attached
    Hi Chris, Thanks for getting back to me. I restarted the machine and the installation was a success. However, I now get a License error asking me to contact Tech support.

Raj Neelam

• 6.  RE: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Posted 02-13-2020 08:35
    Thanks guys, found out where I was going wrong. The activation is a success. :)

Raj Neelam

• 7.  RE: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Posted 02-13-2020 11:54
    Excellent news, I hope you enjoy learning Blue Prism.

Tips:

Chris Strong
    Product Manager
    Blue Prism

• 8.  RE: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Posted 07-19-2020 20:43
    Hi,

Even i'm getting the Licence error, can you let me know what was the fix

Kalis C
    Technology Manager
    Wells Fargo India
    Asia/Kolkata

• 9.  RE: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Posted 02-20-2020 10:20
      |   view attached
    Hi Chris, 

I'm getting same error as Raj when trying to install the Trial version.  (Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid)

I can see that Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB has not been installed ,  but the installer is in place and the registry looks ok to me (see attached) 

I did have a previous BP installation from a year ago which I thought I had removed correctly. 

Can you help?  Should I send you the email I received to be used for installation. 

Colin

Colin Nelson
    NA
    Personal
    Europe/London

• 10.  RE: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Posted 02-20-2020 11:31
    Sorted ; had to reboot my machine 

Reboot was outstanding from previous installation of SQL Server

Colin Nelson
    NA
    Personal
    Europe/London

• 11.  RE: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Posted 02-21-2020 04:57

Hello Colin,

Brilliant, thank you for letting the Community know a reboot resolved your issue and why a reboot was needed.

Chris Strong
    Product Manager
    Blue Prism

• 12.  RE: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Posted 02-25-2020 04:53
    I encountered this issue also. And the reboot fixed. Specifically:

• Having encountered the issue I had to do an uninstall of Blue Prism first (simple reboot at this point wasn't helping).
    • Then reinstall Blue Prism. But don't run it yet.
    • Reboot machine.
    • Now run Blue Prism for the first time and the install was a success.
    • Then continue onto setting up licence key...

Robin Parker

• 13.  RE: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Posted 02-25-2020 07:51

Hello Robin,

Thank you for sharing your experience too.  It's good you're up and running.

We still haven't figured out how to get Windows into a state that would allow us to reproduce the issue .

Reproducible = Fixable

Chris Strong
    Product Manager
    Blue Prism