Blue Prism Product

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

This community covers the core Blue Prism product.

Expand all | Collapse all

MS Edge Extension Issues

• 1.  MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 17 days ago
    Hi All,

I'm running various processes in VM's using MS Edge and using Blue Prism v6.10.1. In recovery's i have Close EDGE so the window is closed gently rather than using kill process or terminate.  After this i have a Launch, but the issue i am having is when it is retrying the process falls over and the log states:

Failed to perform step 1 in Navigate Stage 'Launch Oracle' on page 'Launch' - The browser extension was not detected, please check that it has been installed and enabled. For more information, see the browser extension user guide. https://bpdocs.blueprism.com/bp-6-10/en-us/Guides/chrome-firefox/chrome-firefox.htm

If i log into the VM and open Edge the extension is active and available, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the extension but i still keeping the error.

I am also using Java and that is also being closed gently instead of kill or terminate. 

No matter which way i close down the environments (gently or harshly) i keep getting that error on the retrying to launch EDGE again.

Only way round it is to log out of the VM and log back in.  

Our organisation is also transitioning to move most of our process from IE to EDGE and this is causing big problems when the VM's are running over night.

Any suggestions?

------------------------------
    Enzo

• 2.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 17 days ago
    Hi
    We had a similar problem. We fixed by doing this:
    If we terminate the browser the next time we open Edge the restore pages dialog appears.
    If that happens we have to close the dialog and close the browser again (gently).
    The next time the browser is opened the dialog is gone and Edge works again.

We're on BP 6.10

Cheers
    Troels Krogh

Troels Krogh
    IT Consultant
    HK Danmark

• 3.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 17 days ago

Hi Both

There's a relatively easy Blue Prism way, and a more complex Group Policy way.

Blue Prism way
    - at the completion of a process do not use a Terminate step, instead use SEND KEY EVENTS with "<{CTRL}{W}>{CTRL}" to close the window. This drastically reduces the chances of getting the restore pages error on relaunch. (For extra safety you can follow that with a short wait, then a Terminate, inside a block to catch the errors)

- at the start of a process use a 'Read Process Working Set' to check for any instances of 'msedge' that are running. If any are running then call 'Kill Process' to terminate them. Note that this WILL cause the problem with restore pages to appear

- when you first open Edge on your launch stage, wait a few seconds, then use CTRL+W as above to do a gentle close. Wait a few more seconds then launch again. As the most recent close was a gentle one, the browser will not show the restore pages prompt.

Group Policy way (untested)
    Older versions of Edge would allow you to suppress the restore pages prompt, originally with a setting, then later with a registry key. Unfortunately both of these were depreciated by Microsoft.

The most recent advice I have seen for how to suppress this is to use a Group Policy setting, see the final part of this article:  https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-restore-pages-notification-in-edge-browser

Chris Cutting
    Real Time Development Consultant
    BT
    Europe/London

• 4.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 14 days ago
    Hi Both, thanks for the suggestions,

i have tried you responses previously, however i can not run the action stage Launch once i close it, i spied the whole window using win-32 to close the window down gently which is the same as clicking on the X on the top right. 

But soon as i try launching edge again i get the browser is not installed error.

Enzo Smith

• 5.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 13 days ago
    Its known issue with BluePrism for Edge browser. Try following steps. hope it will work. 
     -  Launch Application 
    - Put static wait for few seconds say (5 or 10 seconds)
    - When you close application then don't terminate just exit from edge 
    - After exit from edge wait few second then Launch application (Don't exit and launch immediately)

Devendra Kumar Prajapati
    Tech Lead
    Infosys
    Europe/London

• 6.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 12 days ago
    Hi Devendra,

Thanks for the reply,  i have tried that but again i am unable to Launch Edge to even close it due to the browser extension error. Due to the error i am unable to open the Edge window at all, so it not even on screen.

Enzo Smith

• 7.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 12 days ago
    You could try using a second object to restore Edge

Instead of setting the object up as a browser, use the windows application mode
    Set the launch to run the msedge.exe from within program files
    After launch spy the whole window in Win32 mode
    Then use either Win32 or CTRL+W or ALT+F4 to close, depending on your preference

Then try a re-launch of the main browser object

Chris Cutting
    BT
    Europe/London

• 8.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 12 days ago
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for this suggestion, please see below to confirm this is the way you mention, this is how the Object for Launching Edge is currently set.

Enzo Smith

• 9.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 12 days ago
    Hi Enzo

I have uploaded a stripped down verison what we're using. Maybe that will help.

It seems the issue might have been  addressed in the release notes og 6.10.3:

Description of change

Reference

An intermittent issue resulting in a Browser extension was not detected error that prevented elements from being spied no longer occurs when attempting to launch a Chrome, Edge, or Firefox browser via the Application Modeller. The error occurred either in Studio or when running an automation, in the following scenarios:

• When a process that uses a browser extension is terminated and another process immediately attempts to open another browser before the socket becomes available.
    • When attempting to launch a browser immediately after it has been closed. This has been fixed by automatically trying every 200 milliseconds for up to 2 minutes when terminating the browser. If the browser does not successfully close, an error message warns the user to ensure all browsers with the Blue Prism browser extension installed are closed before continuing.

Troels Krogh
    IT Consultant
    HK Danmark

• 10.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 12 days ago
    Hi Troels, where do i get the stripped down version you uploaded?

Really appreciate your help.

Enzo Smith

• 11.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 12 days ago
      |   view attached
    Seems it disappeared.  i'll try to upload it as a txt file you can rename the extension to bpobject

Troels Krogh
    IT Consultant
    HK Danmark

Attachment(s)

• 12.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 12 days ago
    Thanks Troels, i will have a look to see if it can resolve the issue.

Enzo Smith

• 13.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 12 days ago
    The model that you have above is for a browser, when set as a windows application you should see slightly different options, as shown here;

Chris Cutting
    BT
    Europe/London

• 14.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 12 days ago
    Thanks Chris i will create a separate object and try this also

Enzo Smith

• 15.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 11 days ago
      |   view attached
    Hi All, 

Quick update on my findings, Chris Cutting mentioned using Edge as an object on its own set up in windows application mode. 

What i found was that if i close Edge in a browser object i get the extension not installed issue when trying to Launch edge again. 

So what i did was create a separate object  for MS Edge in windows application mode that Chris suggested and created a page that just launches Edge and closes Edge.

I then tested this buy creating a process that opens and harshly kills edge 3 times using an action that points to MS Edge in Application Mode (Launch>Wait> Kill>Wait> x 3), and it launched it successfully each time with no extension issues.

I then created the exact same flow (Launch>Wait> Kill>Wait>) x 3  in the process using an action that points to MS Edge in Browser Mode, the first Launch was OK, then it killed Edge and low and behold the next time it tried to launch Edge i had the extension not installed error.

I created a stand alone object so in a process where i use Edge in browser mode, on my close / terminate edge page i add in at the very end an action that points to Ms Edge set up in Application Mode to open and close the window before it reattempts to Launch again in browser mode.

When added to the processes i was having issues with it worked and i no longer received the Edge extension issue.  

So it seems that when you close Edge in browser mode it does not always release the extension regardless of how Edge is closed down and regardless of any wait stages, but opening and closing it in Windows Application Mode forces it to be released. 

I have attached the Ms Edge Object i created in Windows Application Mode as Release to Launch & Close Edge (as a txt file just rename the file extension .bprelease), feel free to use it. Just add it in as an Action in your MS Edge Browser Object. (See my example below, Ms Edge Application Mode highlighted in yellow)

Thanks Everyone and thank you Chris for the suggestion, 

Enzo Smith

Attachment(s)

• 16.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 8 hours ago

There's a relatively easy Blue Prism way, and a more complex Group Policy way.

Blue Prism way

1. at the completion of a process do not use a Terminate step, instead use SEND KEY EVENTS with "<{CTRL}{W}>{CTRL}" to close the window. This drastically reduces the chances of getting the restore pages error on relaunch. (For extra safety you can follow that with a short wait, then a Terminate, inside a block to catch the errors)

2. at the start of a process use a 'Read Process Working Set' to check for any instances of 'msedge' that are running. If any are running then call 'Kill Process' to terminate them. Note that this WILL cause the problem with restore pages to appear

3. when you first open Edge on your launch stage, wait a few seconds, then use CTRL+W as above to do a gentle close. Wait a few more seconds then launch again. As the most recent close was a gentle one, the browser will not show the restore pages prompt.

Group Policy way (untested)

Older versions of Edge would allow you to suppress the restore pages prompt, originally with a setting, then later with a registry key. Unfortunately both of these were depreciated by Microsoft.

Nu-Way Bin Rentals

• 17.  RE: MS Edge Extension Issues

Posted 5 hours ago
    Hi Lewis

Nice copy / paste, but that's my own advice from earlier in this same thread, if you wish to cite me please at least have the courtesy to attach my name to the advice.

Chris Cutting

Chris Cutting
    BT
    Europe/London

Welcome to the Blue Prism Product Community!

Whether you’re looking to manage a complex infrastructure, maintain security and compliance, bring new products to market faster, or gain operational speed and agility in an uncertain economy, Blue Prism delivers — with the flexibility you need to create the business you want. From deployment on-premise, through a cloud service provider or as SaaS, to a skillful and adaptable digital workforce that continually expands to meet your enterprise needs, you can gain enhanced operational insight and control while your people reclaim the time they need to focus on great work.

Product PageKnowledge BaseBlue Prism Training Offering

FAQs

Blue Prism is intelligent automation — business-developed, no-code automation that pushes the boundaries of robotic process automation (RPA) to deliver value across any business process in a connected enterprise.

A combination of RPA with expanded cognitive and AI capabilities, Blue Prism is different than other automation technology on the market. With one Blue Prism license, you gain instant access to an already AI equipped digital workforce, along with the tools you need to build and delegate automations. Click here for more information on Blue Prism and Intelligent Automation.
To learn more about how Blue Prism can help your organization and how much it will cost to get started, please Contact our Sales department.
Blue Prism can be downloaded from our customer portal. If you would like to consume or download any material it is necessary to create an account on the Portal. Once you have registered, you can access the download options for Blue Prism here.
Yes! Installed on your own machine and supported by our training materials and product documentation, you can use all the features of the full enterprise product for free with our Blue Prism Trial – giving you the opportunity to learn the basics before moving to a full production implementation. Click here for more information and to download the trial.
Yes! You can access our known issue list for Blue Prism from our Support Portal.
Regardless of your industry, Blue Prism’s Digital Workforce can adhere to strict governance and compliance standards without limiting productivity. Click here for more information on how your industry can benefit from Blue Prism.