Community Chat

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

A space for discussion around the Community site and programs.

• 1.  Best practices Bot triggers

Posted 08-05-2023 13:57

Hello dear Community,

I am in first year of BP and would like to ask after your opinion about best way to handle my next process. It consists of analysis of selling data for multiple countries.

1 business prepares the template with different customers.

2 Bot needs to read the excel file and download some SAP reports, some calculations and

3. move the elaborated file in its location

4. Feedback to business.

we have organizational changes so can not use google sheet, and the mail will also change from google to outlook. So now I am wondering on how to inform the Bot about new data. Using an excel file will not work for access issues. Was thinking of a folder "to be processed " that bot checks and creates work queue , but having multiple countries all in one would be to much of a mess for the business, and a folder for each country to much of work for bot that needs to enter them one by one. What would you suggest? The other points are not that complicated, I only need to find the way to inform the Bot about new data that need to be done.

thank you in advance.

Tim

------------------------------
    Tim Dani

• 2.  RE: Best practices Bot triggers

Posted 08-06-2023 04:44

Hi Tim Dani,

Not sure whether I understand the requirment/

But looks like you need to read the data. but data is in the excel because of access issue BOT not able to read it so the next option you are trying is  to read the folders  because for each country bot need to  navigate to too many subfolders ? 
    And you are planning to  create work queue based on the folders?

-----------------------
    If I answered your query. Please mark it as the "Best Answer"

Harish Mogulluri
    Lead developer
    America/New_York TX

• 3.  RE: Best practices Bot triggers

Posted 08-09-2023 07:56

Hi Harish,

I definitely need to improve the case description. Bot is able to read the xls files and will create the queue based on the file names. The access issue was referred in case of having a xls tracker where business enters new cases and Bot provides status feedbacks(of business forgets to close the file than would be hard to enter for bot and vice versa)

Tim Dani

• 4.  RE: Best practices Bot triggers

Posted 08-09-2023 09:00

Hi Tim Dani,

If updating is the issue when the file is open on the other end you can make use of Excel as OLEDB and you can update the file even if it is open.

Babjee Vangipurapu
    Senior RPA Developer
    Wonderbotz
    India

• 5.  RE: Best practices Bot triggers

Posted 08-06-2023 05:04

Hi Tim Dani,

If you are looking to trigger bot based on changes in folder, you may look at using this asset from DX 

https://digitalexchange.blueprism.com/dx/entry/9648/solution/file-watcher-service-integration 

Shashank Kumar
    DX Integrations Partner Consultant
    Blue Prism
    Singapore
    +6581326707

• 6.  RE: Best practices Bot triggers

Posted 08-07-2023 13:30

Working with Blue Prism and Outlook is incredibly effortless. Explore the MS Outlook VBO available on Digital Exchange, which seamlessly utilizes the default Outlook configuration on your machine to handle email sending and reading tasks.

If I was of assistance, please vote for it to be the "Best Answer".

Thanks & Regards,
    Tejaskumar Darji - https://www.linkedin.com/in/tejaskumardarji/
    Technical Lead

• 7.  RE: Best practices Bot triggers

Posted 08-08-2023 14:07

If I understand correctly, you're trying to decide between having a single folder to catch all of them or multiple folders (one for each country).

Why would the latter approach be too much of a mess? Is this because you're relying on people to select the correct folder? Is there an indicator in the report that shows which country it's for? If so then you can have the best of both worlds... have a generic folder somewhere called "Input" or "Add To Queue", or something similar. You can get the bot to read the file and move it into the appropriate folder. If you store the new location in the BP Queue, you can then update the folder from within the new location, to keep things nice and tidy.

John Wilding
    Robotic Architect
    ReAssure Ltd
    Europe/London

• 8.  RE: Best practices Bot triggers

Posted 08-09-2023 07:19

Hi John, 

yes I am also Thinking of choosing subforlder logic with excel file names descriptions that will be used to create work queue.

Once it is done send mail to business informing of new location of file. In case of error move the file in error folder with additional mail informing of type of error. The only thing that worries me about is the tracking , as I was used all the times to have a tracker in Google Sheet where Business could monitor the cases. 

Other way I was suggested is mail from the business with attachment to be processed, but I would need in few months to change from gmail to outlook (double work)

Tim Dani

• 9.  RE: Best practices Bot triggers

Posted 08-09-2023 08:29

Dependent on how you've set up your email, the work involved in switching over could be minimal. I've put all of our email interactions into generic object wrappers, grouping together the common objects. For example, to send an email I need to give it the To, CC, BCC, From, Subject, Body and attachments, and nothing else. The logic surrounding the accounts, connection to email servers, etc all sit within the object and are used dependent on the mailboxes being used.

We switched from SMTP/POP3 email connections over to MS Graph a whilst ago. Due to the way I had set up the emails, there were no process changes required. I just needed to update the object wrapper and release to production. No additional process development was required.

John Wilding
    Robotic Architect
    ReAssure Ltd
    Europe/London

Welcome to our 'Off-Topic' Community Chat!

A space for non-technical chat, tips for using the Community, and news from the Blue Prism Community Team.

This is not a Community for technical or Product related discussion. For a list of available communities, please visit our site map.

Introduce YourselfCommunity Tech TipsMeet The Team