cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud based hosting of servers and VDI

Jeppe_OhrtStenb
Level 3
Hi All Do any of you have experience with Microsoft Azure, I work for a lot of different clients and one of the biggest problems is always hosting of SQL and VDI's. IT could therefore be interesting to hear others experience with different hosting solutions. Pros and cons etc. //Jeppe Stenbæk
5 REPLIES 5

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Hi Jeppe - you can use an Azure DB but we don't recommend it for anything more than a POC, where a rapid and lightweight set up is required.

EdritFranquiz
Level 3
Hi John, why you don´t recommend to use Azure or any of the cloud services option in the market ? Thanks. Clients have the same doubt as Jeppe is mentioning

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
I have yet to come accross an enterprise client that would be happy to have data related to their business processes stored outside of their IT infastructure. I cannot imagine an UK bank, or utility sector, or heath client allowing it. For small clients without a vision of large scall back office automation an Azure database may be adequate, but for an enterprise client looking to provision a large scale capability an enterprise class database on dedicated infastructure, with full mirroring/dr, would be the expectation.

DexterWhelan1
Level 4
I'm going against the grain here, I've worked with two enterprise companies that use cloud based systems for the deployment of their robots and code base. It worked really well albeit the system loaded a little slower than when you have BP installed in your own network but it was still fast and easy to work with. Cloud system was AWS and the system had incredibly good reliability. We could scale out VDI's in an afternoon or less. E.g. if we wanted another 50 instances we just emailed and within few hours we had the space allocation to set up. Cost was very reasonable, think the cost worked out at about 1/8th the cost of physical machines but the speed at which things happened and the security of having them virtualised made a big difference. No security concerns of someone unplugging a machine or looking at a screen to glean information. Also it meant the Control Room team had their own dedicated way of handling machines and not having to deal with people having unwarranted access to machines that can cause conflicts sometimes. Overall my experience with cloud based setup has been wholly positive and whenever I go back to using normal machines to run Blueprism I dislike it. It's a big hassle trying to acquire machines, or trying to sort out which machines need to run with what profiles or keeping a log of who has accessed what machine. The clients who had enterprise setup were also happy with it after both moved from physical machine set up to virtual machine set up. here's the TL;DR difficulty in setting up 8/10 (there are quite a few hurdles to jump in setting up) once set up ease of use 10/10 (super easy to use, no big learning curve for new comers) reliability 9.5/10 (went down once for a day but cloud support were all over it, hourly updates on where they were on fixing the issue and otherwise speed and up time were top notch) dev speed 6/10 (its not 'slow' but it's slower than having local DB that BP is setup on) overall effectiveness/happiness 9/10 (absolutely recommend to anyone. physical machines are easy enough to set up when you don't have to procure them and cloud systems have a slight setup hurdle but the ability to scale out on a cloud level is unbeatable and security was never a concern for either team, well it was a concern but the CTO was happy with how it was implemented that security wasn't an issue/roadblock to setting it up)

JosephZulberti
Level 2
@Dexter_Whelan - My team is currently operating on a cloud based solution similar to what is discussed in this forum. We have had a lot of difficulties with communications between our app server and the VDI resources, especially when it comes to running a process without actually viewing it on the resource. We have also had no luck with getting the scheduler to work, as the app server cannot see the resources. Login agent seems to be aiding in some of the manual running of processes on the VDI without viewing, but scheduler is impossible. Are these some of the issues you experienced with your setups? If so, would you be able to provide any guidance on how we might get our issues resolved?