cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Excel VBO: Value Cannot be Null

RahulNarang1
Level 3
Hello Everyone,

I am getting the following exception at random while reading data as collections from multiple spreadsheets in an excel file. Is there a fix around it like adding a wait stage in the code stage itself.
Internal : Could not execute code stage because exception thrown by code stage: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: s
I saw a post regarding the same issue in the community but no solution for that
Was anyone able to fix this issue?

------------------------------
Rahul Narang
3 REPLIES 3

NicholasZejdlik
Level 9
Would you be able to share an example spreadsheet that is getting that error? Which specific action is getting the exception?

Nicholas Zejdlik
RPA Developer

Hi Nicolas, 

Unfortunately I won't be able to share the spreadsheet due to some high risk data. But this exception comes when I use the action Read worksheet as a collection from MS Excel VBO. and it happens out of the blue (1 out of 200 transactions). I am hoping that it is some Clipboard issue. But not able to figure it out completely.

Rahul Narang

Hi Rahul,

What version of Blue Prism are you using? If it is prior to version 6.6, it could very well be an issue with the clipboard. See this article for more information:
Why do I get "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: s" error when using the MS Excel VBO?
https://portal.blueprism.com/customer-support/support-center#/path/Automation-Design/Application-Integration/Excel/1323720772/Why-do-I-get-Value-cannot-be-null-Parameter-name-s-error-when-using-the-MS...

Earlier versions of the VBO utilize the clipboard to perform some of the actions, including Get Worksheet As Collection. If the clipboard is already in use when you attempt this action, you can get this error.  

Here is the release notes from version 6.6 that describe the change to the VBO so it no longer uses the clipboard:
https://bpdocs.blueprism.com/bp-6-7/en-us/Release%20Notes/Release%20Notes/rn-6-6.htm?Highlight=bg-3079

#Excel

​​

Patrick Aucoin
Senior Product Consultant
Blue Prism