cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[NOTIFICATION] Issue with Browser automation after Microsoft Edge v128 update

steven.boggs
Staff
Staff

UPDATE: Just wanted to state that our Knowledge Base announcement has been updated to reflect the latest info about the new build of Edge and Blue Prism's recommendations for this scenario.

Original Post:

We received recent reports of browser automations failing after Microsoft Edge v128 update.

Microsoft Edge v128 was released to the Stable Channel on the 22nd August 2024 (see Release notes for Microsoft Edge Stable Channel)
Note: Microsoft Edge v128 had previously been released to Beta Channel on 1st August 2024.

The symptom observed is a failure to load the page after launching the browser.

Blue Prism Global Customer Support is investigating.  As more information becomes available, this article will be updated on the developing situation.

Note: Microsoft Edge v128 is not yet supported with Blue Prism Enterprise as of the time of this writing.

For the latest version of Microsoft Edge supported, please see our Browser Extension Compatibility Matrix

Solution:

Roll back to the previous release of Microsoft Edge that was deployed on the Runtime Resources.

Continue to check our Knowledge Base announcement for updated details on this situation: 

[NOTIFICATION] Issue with Browser automation after Microsoft Edge v128 update

See also: How to prevent Microsoft Edge from automatically updating to the newest version prior to testing (Edge version control)

1 BEST ANSWER

Helpful Answers

@Michael_S I'm attempting to reply to the original post with updated info but I'm not seeing them in this thread -- I've tried replying twice now. I'm also unable to edit the original post. 

Just wanted to state that our Knowledge Base announcement has been updated to reflect the latest info about the new build of Edge and Blue Prism's recommendations for this scenario.

View answer in original post

13 REPLIES 13

david.l.morris
Level 14

Thanks, Steve! I saw someone post about this and was curious how widespread the issue might be.

Dave Morris, 3Ci at Southern Company

Hi Dave,

Hope you're doing well.

Initial reports suggest this may be an issue with an MV2/MV3 change in Edge v128, where users on older versions of Blue Prism utilizing MV2-based browser extensions seem to be primarily affected by this issue. Testing with BPE v7.3.1 (which uses a MV3-based extension) doesn't seem to have this issue in my experience, so it may not be as widespread as initially thought. 

Either way, we'd recommend checking our KB announcement page about this issue for the latest updates and recommendations from our Product team as they are released.

Neel1
MVP

Hello @steven.boggs  just want to re-confirm that IE mode in Edge functionality is not affected . Correct?

although in the post above it is mentioned issue related to extension and ie mode in edge do not use extension but still want to re confirm on this.

Michael_S
Community Team
Community Team

@steven.boggs - I've pinned your post to the top of the Product Forum. Drop me a message once resolved and we'll take it down 🙂

steven.boggs
Staff
Staff

Microsoft has acknowledged this in their Edge Known Issues page:

stevenboggs_0-1724852643088.png

david.l.morris
Level 14

@steven.boggs The way the symptom is described, it sounds like it'd only happen if someone is triggering Edge to open without providing a URL to go to during the launch command (whether through cmd, Blue Prism navigate stage, or any other method). I'm unable currently to access the Support area, so maybe more information is there.

But do you guys happen to know how to reproduce the issue at this point? I cannot reproduce it, but I also only have 7.3.1 locally. If it's a Microsoft-recognized issue, I figured it should be reproducible even without an automation tool to trigger it.

Dave Morris, 3Ci at Southern Company

Hi @Neel1 -- we (in Support) haven't heard any reports of IE Mode in Edge being affected by this known issue, but Microsoft acknowledges it as a "high impact issue" in v128 on their Edge Known Issues page related to "custom configured start pages".

As Edge v128 is not yet officially supported for use with Blue Prism (as of the time of this writing) and this issue is slated by Microsoft to be addressed in the next stable release of Edge v128, we'd still recommend to continue using Edge v127 for now to avoid any potential issues.

Hi Steven,

We are using BP extension v7.1 and it's in MV-3 but we are having failures to load webpage.

RenzDelaCruz_1-1724892319831.png

@RenzDelaCruz have you tried the workaround suggested by Microsoft in their Edge Known Issues documentation? Either roll back to Edge v127 or updating the command line argument to include --disable-features="msIrm, msIrmv2, msEndpointDLp"?