cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running BP Server and Resource PC at System startup using Windows task scheduler

NitinAlex
Level 3
When Running BP Server and Resource PC, at System startup using Windows task scheduler, Both of them are seen running in the background when looked in the Windows task manager. Is there any way to bring them to the foreground.

Also wanted to get a code to run as batch file in task scheduler that checks if both BP Server and Resource PC are running every few seconds and restart them if closed by accident.

Please help me with the above problems.

Regards,
Nitin Alex
​​​
13 REPLIES 13

jegendra
Staff
Staff
Hi Nitin,

Do you run both Blue Prism components (The Application Server and the Runtime Resource) in the same workstation?
It's recommended to keep both BP component on separate workstations that are located under the same network environment.

Cheers,
Jega

------------------------------
Jega Avinasinathan
Customer Support Engineer
Blue Prism
Jega Avinasinathan Customer Support Engineer Blue Prism

VivekGoel
Level 10
As Mentioned by Jega, You should have both on separate work stations.

However, assuming you are using learning edition or non-prod environment (POC set up) , you can write a batch file to start both the services and put it in your workstation startup folder. They will be auto started on system startup.

Vivek Goel
"If you like this post, please press the "Recommend" Button.

Hi @jegendra and @VivekGoel , Yes I agree to both of you, but only one regular desktop pc is available. Since the process deployed is of not high importance, resources are limited. Paid licence is being used. Only one schedule per day. To run BP Server.exe Admin password is required. How to use batch file in this case.

Regards,
Nitin Alex​​

Hi Nitin.

I've always run BPServer as a service and do not know if you can run it from a batch file.  However, you can bring the runtime resource to the foreground if you wish.

If you execute Automate.exe with the parameter /invisible, then it will be hidden, but there will be a blue prism icon in your system tray.  Left clicking it and selecting "Show" will display the window. 

If you start Automate.exe without the /invisible parameter, the window will stay open on the desktop.  Clicking the "Hide" button on the app will get it out of the way.

We recommend running it in invisible mode because the window might interfere with any screen interaction that your process may be doing on the PC.

Jack Look

Hi @jegendra, @VivekGoel and @Jack Look , Is it because BPServer.exe restricted by UAC in my case the hurdle to run it as batch file?. As I have mentioned my problem is that both BP Server and resource pc runs at startup by Task scheduler (both run in the background), however no icon of blue prism resource pc is visible in system tray. Hence how to make them visible in the foreground at system startup?

Any suggestions for the second part of my query?

Regards,
Nitin Alex
​​​​​

Nitin Alex

Hi Nitin.

You have the runtime resource defined as a task at start up.  If you look at that task in task scheduler, you'll see something like this:
"C:\Program Files\Blue Prism Limited\Blue Prism Automate\Automate.exe" /resourcepc /public /invisible

If you remove "/invisible" from the command, the runtime resource window will appear when it starts up.  Be advised though that the presence of the window on the screen may interfere if any process running.

Jack Look
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism

Hi @Jack Look , Nope I have not used /invisible.
Attaching screenshot also.

14199.png

Regards,
Nitin Alex

Hi Nitin.

What version of BP are you running?  Also, you don't have this icon in your system tray?  
14202.png

Jack Look
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism

Hi @Jack Look,
BP version 6.5
Exactly! I don't see the resource pc icon in the system tray.
14204.png

Regards,
Nitin Alex