Advice on how to copy data from excel in a collection stage to an application

FrankieTEWV
Level 5
Hello All,

I am wanting to create quite a simple automation - steps are below

Download report as excel file
Copy data from excel file into a collection
Copy data from collection into Application 2

The part im struggling with is how do you copy data (it will be text data) from the collection into an application.

I know there is a VBO to copy data from a collection into a SQL database but my Application 2 is a web based application.

Once i have the data saved as a collection do i then add that to a work queue but then im stuck again on how i would copy the data from the work queue into Application 2?

Any suggestions i cant see a VBO which would solve this ?

Appreciate anyones help 🙂

Frankie

------------------------------
Frankie Legg
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

GopalBhaire
Level 10

Hi Frankie,

I suggest that you investigate the method of data submission utilized by your second web application.

If it is a web-based form, you may have to create an object to fill and submit the form for each record in your collection.
On the other hand, if the web application utilizes an API, you can leverage that API to directly post the data to the appropriate endpoint. This approach is generally more efficient and less prone to errors than the previous method. 
Additionally, if the web application allows for the pasting of whole excel data, you can utilize Microsoft Excel's Extended VBO to open the file, select the range, copy the data, and then send a "Ctrl+V" command to paste it directly onto the web application.

Thanks

Gopal Bhaire

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

GopalBhaire
Level 10

Hi Frankie,

I suggest that you investigate the method of data submission utilized by your second web application.

If it is a web-based form, you may have to create an object to fill and submit the form for each record in your collection.
On the other hand, if the web application utilizes an API, you can leverage that API to directly post the data to the appropriate endpoint. This approach is generally more efficient and less prone to errors than the previous method. 
Additionally, if the web application allows for the pasting of whole excel data, you can utilize Microsoft Excel's Extended VBO to open the file, select the range, copy the data, and then send a "Ctrl+V" command to paste it directly onto the web application.

Thanks

Gopal Bhaire

Hi @Frankie Legg

There are a couple of ways to do this but it does depend on the application you want to write the information onto. Im assuming you are interacting with the GUI for the application so for the field you are writing into, if its just a single field and will hold all the data then you can just spy this field then in excel do a copy for all the data to get it into the windwos clipboard then in the application field​ use a global send keys CTRL+V to write into the field. 

As you've mentioned you are getting all the information into a collection then are there multiple fields to write the text to? If so then you will need to spy the fields and do a loop to write each value in individually. Usually the easiest way to do this without spy each field, especially if you dont know how many fields/values you will need to write, is to spy the first field and then set one of the parameters to dynamic which will allow you to adjust the parameter to each field for each value in the loop. 

Hopefully this made sense 🙂

Michael ONeil
Technical Lead developer
NTTData
Europe/London

This is so helpful thank you so much! i ill give it a go 🙂

Frankie Legg