cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach error with Window Title

FrankieTEWV
Level 5
Hello,

Ive created an attach BO for my web based application.

In the navigate stage properties window i have dragged my application in under the element action  and in the action drop down ive selected 'Attach'

26718.png

It then under the inputs section asks for a Window Title

26719.png
After reading a BP community blog post i found that you cant get the actual window title name from HTML mode instead you can spy the entire window in Win32 mode, then you should be able to get the Window Title out of the 'Window Text' attribute.

Ive done the above so now have my Window  Title text which i have pasted into the input section

26720.png

- however i still get the below error..

Internal : Failed to perform step 1 in Navigate Stage 'Attach to CMS' on page 'Attach' - Target application could not be identified, please ensure the application is running and review the following action inputs and/or application model identifiers: WindowTitle

I also read some where i should be using Use a Read stage on the Win32 element using the action 'Get Text' - but im unsure how to incorporate that into the flow?

Has anyone managed to do this? or can provide some guidance on how i can achieve this.

Many thanks 🙂

Frankie

------------------------------
Frankie Legg
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi Frankie,

You may be spying the inner area of the browser that's why it is always appearing as "Chrome legacy". Please take the outer border like below image,
26674.pngIf you spy like this you will get the proper window text.
Always pass Child index as 0. If you pass the window title or process name.
Process Name you can find in task manager like below, Process Name is for edge "msedge". Always exclude .exe.
26675.png
For attaching any browser, always give the process name and child index as 0. It will work for sure. Attaching using the window title is always uncertain in case of the browser.
PFB image,
26676.png

Amlan Sahoo
Senior RPA Consultant
WonderBotz
Regards,
Amlan Sahoo

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Frankie,

The window name is not correct it must be something application related. To attach to the chrome web browser you pass "chrome" in the process name and child index as 0, and it will work. In this way no need to pass the window title.

26655.png26656.png
If you want to attach by window name then open the application window and spy again using win 32, You will find something below,
26657.pngor you can find the name browser tab like below,
26658.png Please let me know if you still have questions.

Amlan Sahoo
Senior RPA Consultant
WonderBotz
Regards,
Amlan Sahoo

Thanks for responding Amlan, its a strange one as i was in ms edge when i spied the application window page but the window title came up as chrome Legacy  as per my screenshot  above,

i opened up the browser page where the application log on site sits and then went to view page source within here i could find the title 

26662.png

I input this in and my attach worked once then i retried it and it didn't work again same error?

what would the process name be using edge and would the child index also be 0?

Thanks
Frankie

Frankie Legg

Hi Frankie,

You may be spying the inner area of the browser that's why it is always appearing as "Chrome legacy". Please take the outer border like below image,
26674.pngIf you spy like this you will get the proper window text.
Always pass Child index as 0. If you pass the window title or process name.
Process Name you can find in task manager like below, Process Name is for edge "msedge". Always exclude .exe.
26675.png
For attaching any browser, always give the process name and child index as 0. It will work for sure. Attaching using the window title is always uncertain in case of the browser.
PFB image,
26676.png

Amlan Sahoo
Senior RPA Consultant
WonderBotz
Regards,
Amlan Sahoo

Amazing - that has worked - thank you so much :)!!

Frankie Legg

I am glad it worked !

Amlan Sahoo
Senior RPA Consultant
WonderBotz
Regards,
Amlan Sahoo