cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication Server & API - Multiple Environments Support

RafaelRomero
Level 3
Hello, I am installing the authentication server and I ask if someone knows if the authentication server supports multiple blue prism environments?  Can I configure my Dev and Test Blue Prism Servers to use the same authentication server, or do I need to install an authentication server instance for each environment?

The same question goes for the new Rest API module installation.  Can I use the same API to connect to multiple blue prism environments, or do I need to install an API instance for each environment?

Thanks,
-Rafael

------------------------------
Rafael Romero
4 REPLIES 4

AdrianWhite
Staff
Staff
Hi Rafael,

Thanks for your question.

You can have a single Authentication Server which will support multiple environments. However, for the API you will need a separate API for each environment, one for Dev and one for Production. The API can be tied into the same single Authentication Server but they will need to be configured onto different network ports to function correctly. Each API will need to be configured and installed to point to the BP Database for their particular environment.

Hope this helps?

Cheers,

Adrian

Adrian White
Head of Product Consultancy
Blue Prism Ltd
Adrian White Head of Product Consultancy SS&C Blue Prism

Thanks Adrian,  this clears up the API and Auth. server integration.   This leads me to a HUB related question , hopefully you can answer.   How does the HUB interact with the API when multi environments are configured in the HUB? 
Since the API is tied to a single database, then I do not see how I can use the HUB control room plugin against multiple environments.  

Thanks,

Rafael Romero

Hi Rafael,

I believe that in 4.5 and earlier releases, what you say is correct and you will not be able to point to multiple environments and multiple APIs, so Control Room will only interact with one environment.

In 4.6 I believe this is addressed as the Add Connection in Hub has an extra field which allows you to specify the BP API you want to use for that connection. So you should be able to add multiple connections, one for each environment, each with a different API connection URL and potentially port number depending on your architecture. The recommendation is that you install the BP API on the application server, so as there will be an App Server for Dev and one for Prod, each with their own BP API installed, you can set up two connections in Hub pointing to each API on each App Server.

My understanding is that 4.6 will GA in June so you may best be waiting for that release.

Cheers,

Adrian

Adrian White
Head of Product Consultancy
Blue Prism Ltd
Adrian White Head of Product Consultancy SS&C Blue Prism

Thank you Adrian for clearing this up. I very much appreciate it!

Rafael Romero