cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Consolidation Exercise - Internet Explorer Issues

RyanPaschalidis
Level 2
Hi All,

I am currently working on the Advanced Consolidation Exercise (ACE) of the Developer Certification for Blue Prism.

With the entire bprelease being configured several years ago and being created to function using Internet Explorer (IE) the whole exercise is now plagued with errors and incompatible functionality.

Has the team at Blue Prism LMS gone back through the ACE to actually recheck if it works anymore now that Internet Explorer doesn't even exist, and you can only use Microsoft Edge (with IE as a "mode").

Through painstaking hours of fixes, I have been able to resolve a handful of these annoying issues.
However, the latest issue I have come across cannot be solved as far as I can tell.

Somebody else posted this exact same issue one year ago (I found it on the forum), and a resolution was never provided. A year later and still the issue lingers on which is disappointing.

The problem is that the From and To combo boxes in the Create Orders page of the BP Travel site do not contain anything (when in IE mode). But they clearly do contain the locations when in Chrome and Edge (without IE mode).

Forgive my frustrations, but I have spent several days (whilst working full-time) amending these incompatibilities rather than actually working on the ACE itself and furthering my Blue Prism skills.

Please see the relevant screenshots below.
I anticipate that either the entire ACE needs to be redone using Edge or Chrome to make it a seamless experience for the learner. Or perhaps the lack of functionality with IE Mode can be corrected. Either way, this information should really be included in the learning material on the LMS website so that the learner can actually anticipate these problems and/or receive solutions to them.

IE Mode of Edge.
35286.png
35287.png

35288.png

Now on Chrome and Edge (without IE mode)
35289.png
35290.png
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

PvD_SE
Level 12
Hi Ryan,

You are right, the course should have been adjusted to steer clear of anything IE, even Edge IE mode, already last year. This hasn't been done, I assume due to the belief that you could use Edge IE mode instead of IE and there would be no problem. While this could be true for some web-apps, you are still depending of the supplier of the web-app continuing to support IE code. If not, then you get what you got: a non functional web-app. 

At my place of work, we had this situation live in production last summer, where a web-app supplier decided to seize support for IE and Edge IE mode without notice. To fix this, we had to migrate this app to Chrome asap. I see this as an indication to avoid Edge IE mode where you can, and migrate to Edge or Chrome before your web-app supplier decides to throw you under the bus.

Your call for BP to redo the ACE course for IE and Edge IE mode to something modern seems sound. Now it's up to BP to fix this.

Happy coding!
---------------
Paul
Sweden
Happy coding!
Paul, Sweden
(By all means, do not mark this as the best answer!)

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

PvD_SE
Level 12
Hi Ryan,

You are right, the course should have been adjusted to steer clear of anything IE, even Edge IE mode, already last year. This hasn't been done, I assume due to the belief that you could use Edge IE mode instead of IE and there would be no problem. While this could be true for some web-apps, you are still depending of the supplier of the web-app continuing to support IE code. If not, then you get what you got: a non functional web-app. 

At my place of work, we had this situation live in production last summer, where a web-app supplier decided to seize support for IE and Edge IE mode without notice. To fix this, we had to migrate this app to Chrome asap. I see this as an indication to avoid Edge IE mode where you can, and migrate to Edge or Chrome before your web-app supplier decides to throw you under the bus.

Your call for BP to redo the ACE course for IE and Edge IE mode to something modern seems sound. Now it's up to BP to fix this.

Happy coding!
---------------
Paul
Sweden
Happy coding!
Paul, Sweden

PvD_SE
Level 12
...by the way:
Your remark on finding an unanswered question a while back is partly due to the inability to view more than 10 rows per page on this forum. Out of sight, out of heart...

This shortcoming has been pointed out on several occasions to BP, alas without visible result so far. I do not know haw many pages folks browse back when reviewing the content of recent postings, but I go no further than a page or two back in time.

Happy coding!
---------------
Paul
Sweden
Happy coding!
Paul, Sweden

RyanPaschalidis
Level 2
Thanks for the rapid response, Paul, I appreciate the insight you provided.

As you've suggested I shall move the entire ACE project over to chrome now instead of IE / Edge (IE Mode).

Also, thank-you for providing an example of a similar situation in real-life that you faced. This makes the situation much more bearable now knowing that this is something that can definitely arise in production, and I can actually take some valuable lessons and learnings from my debugging and resolution finding!

@PvD_SE​​​