cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BP SQL VBO Timeout

CraigTaylor
Level 2

Hi all,

I am attempting to run a delete SQL query on a DB in Blue Prism. I have my flow built, but I am getting:

'Execution Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. Operation cancelled by user. The statement has been terminated.'

I have found the following support article and modified the Open code stage in the SQL VBO object with the supplied code, but still get timeouts after 30 seconds:

Support Center | Blue Prism Portal

Blueprism remove preview
Support Center | Blue Prism Portal
©2023 Blue Prism Limited. "Blue Prism", the "Blue Prism" logo and Prism device are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Blue Prism Limited and its affiliates. All Rights Reserved.
View this on Blueprism >

The database being connected to is an Azure hosted SQL DB, could this be part of the issue?

------------------------------
Craig Taylor
5 REPLIES 5

John__Carter
Staff
Staff

Can't see the link Craig but I'm guessing it relates to specifying the timeout value. You can set this as part of the connection string, for example:
24522.pnghttps://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.data.sqlclient.sqlconnection.connectionstring?view=dotnet-plat-ext-7.0

John Carter
Blue Prism

Hi John,

Looks like the forum consumed the link!

Tried your suggestion but still getting the 30 second timeout unfortunately.

Craig Taylor

Hmm strange. Are you sure the flow is passing through one of the Set Connection calcs and both will set the timeout value?

24526.png

John Carter
Blue Prism

Yes, stepping through the process I can see it pass through the node with the Connection Timeout extra string above. 

I am beginning to think it's perhaps something to do with the DB being Azure hosted and there is a setting overruling it there. I'll speak to our Azure admin to do some digging that side!

Craig Taylor

MichealCharron
Level 7

@Craig Taylor

I can't get anything from the link either but I think what you are experiencing is a command timeout. The timeout setting in the provider string handles timeouts when trying to connect to...

cmd.CommandTimeout = Convert.ToInt32(timeout)

In this case, we created a "Timeout" parameter for the action that we can set to any value but you could hardcode a value (shameful) if you want.

Micheal Charron
Senior Manager
RBC
America/Toronto

Micheal Charron
RBC
Toronto, Ontario
Canada