cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser Mode for Microsoft Edge unable to spy previously spied element with same checked attributes

NicholasTeo
Level 3
I am using Blue Prism 6.9.1, and used the Browser Mode to spy against a webpage on Microsoft Edge using the equivalent version of the browser extension. Weirdly, the browser mode does not seem to be stable, and was unable to spy a previously spied element. When I re-identified the element, the exact same checked attributes was able to spy the element. Does anyone else encounter the same error, and is there any way to overcome this permanently? Re-spying is extremely tedious, and it does not make sense that the same checked attributes are able to identify the same element. It feels like the Browser mode is looking out for other attributes that are hidden or not checked as well. If this persists I might consider switching to UIA where possible instead, which is quite disappointing given that HTML mode did not have this issue in IE.
2 REPLIES 2

HarpreetKaur
Level 7
Hello Nicholas,

Are you sure you're only selecting the most unique attributes for that spied control?
In most cases Web-Path/X-Path alone should do the trick and you can deselect all the other attributes.

If the above doesn't work you don't have to resort to UIA as Blue Prism introduces support for XPath and CSS selectors 6.9 onwards which enables the HTML(Browser) mode to interact with the application down to its page-code level. These attributes are really powerful and speedy. I highly encourage you to check out the below course on BP University:
https://university.blueprism.com/learn/course/16924/play/37103/spying-using-css-selector-and-xpath-basics

Regards
Harpreet

EVIPUTI
MVP
I would recommend re-spying the element and reevaluating the attributes that you select. Try un-ticking one attribute at a time and testing (highlighting) until the problem occurs. Then, re-tick the attribute that you had un-ticked, and you will have the minimum number of attributes needed to reliably select the correct element.
------------------------------ Vipul Tiwari Senior Process Simplification Developer Amazon ------------------------------