cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can BP Desktop automatically run a process without human interaction?

HongJooChoi
Staff
Staff

Hi, Community.

Can anyone know how to invoke BP Desktop and have it run a process  automatically along with the system reboot?

When I skimmed over the BP Desktop, it looks like BPD needs to be authenticated with Hub (Authentication Server) before it runs any process. So, unlike the case of BPE, the BPD can't be invoked by CLI and run a certain process. It requires human interaction for invoking and logging into Hub at least at the very start. 

Is my understanding correct?

Best regards

------------------------------
HongJoo Choi
4 REPLIES 4

Neel1
MVP

hello @HongJooChoi  - as per me i think inaugural version of BPD do not have schedules and WQ . process need to trigger manually.

lets hear more form community on this.

Neeraj Kumar
Technical Architect

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15

Desktop is designed for the publishing of a Blue Prism solution to be available for human interaction.  My memory of seeing an early version of it is that there is a desktop UI for users to select automations to run,  only automations made available to that human user will be seen and available).  You are correct that it needs access to hub,  the future of much of the product is hub so you can expect any new Blue Prism products to hang onto that technology.  There will also be a local install to run the automations locally.

You cannot run a BP Desktop automation automatically on reboot (including login) because that would be an autonomous robot rather than a human in the loop process - there is different licencing for autonomous versus desktop because desktop automations are shorter task automations to help humans do bits of larger processes so the robots are less active and therefore licenced less.

If you want to run autonomous automations on a desktop computer you can do that with the "normal" full Blue Prism product,  a desktop can be set up as a resource PC.  The main reason that is not recommended is because of security reasons,  it would break all your security rules to have a desktop left unlocked and unsecure,  if a customer wanted to use desktops in this way I would recommend they are locked in a secured room (may as well have VMs).

Dear @Denis__Dennehy 

Thank you for the response. 

The customer may have no problems in having a secured room. The simple request is that they just want to use the BPD like a normal Runtime Resource, which is in my understanding automatically invoked and run a dedicated process.

Could you clarify about "normal" full Blue Prism product and how the desktop can be set up as a resource PC?

If it is possible to invoke the BPD as if it is an autonomous Runtime Resource,  how can it automatically register itself to the Authentication Server?

Any workaround would be much appreciated.

Best regards

HongJoo Choi

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15

Hi again.

Lets stop talking about BPD, that product is not relevant to what you want to do.

Every single component of Bluebrosm can be installed and used on desktops, I have done it myself often for pilot projects. I presume most people install the free training version of Blue Prism on a desktop 

All the VMs that are usually used are is desktops but virtualized.  

The only problems you might have are similar to using VMs, make sure right ports are open and right services are running etc.  All instructions can be found in the Technical Architect training.

I'll reiterate though, unlocked desktops are a massive security concern, a full logical Access model should be put in place for autonomous robots.  I know of customers who ignored this advice only for fraud to happen. A desktop solution should be seen as temporary only with risk mitigation measures in place.