cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue spying an item from dropdown menu

MatthewCharlton
Level 2

Good morning

I have been working on Blue Prism to try and automate a website navigation and file downloading section for a team we support. The website has been recently updated and I am updating the BP process for it.

35973.pngI am having issues with trying to select an item from a dropdown menu "File tag" and tried a last resort of region spying the items as an image but this stopped working in a different environment which had a different screen resolution therefore the item did not match the region image. 
I am looking for assistance for this and wonder if I've missed a step as I suspect I will miss out details in the information below.

What I am trying to do is the task of "click dropdown", "select payroll"..  Simple enough.

35974.png

Problem is when I spy the "file tag" dropdown menu, it highlights it as you can see below in the images but does not do any of the actions to open the menu.

So this is the item initially being identified in browser mode. It is recognised regardless of the way it is resized.

35975.png--
35976.png--

When you choose the action "select" it highlights the text in grey so you can see it has clicked on it. I'd like to be able to open the menu as a dropdown, but click, double click, global click or global click centre do not do anything. 

If I use a data item or manually written entry of "Payroll", and get it to input that word after selecting the dropdown, it chooses it but not properly, so this is still considered "any tag". Even when you press apply it is still selected as Any. 

35977.png--
35978.png

I have tried the other methods of spying and only browser mode recognises the dropdown,  win32 and ui mode only spies the whole window,  so I am unable to spy the dropdown (ideally the dropdown arrow).

I have it spied as a region, to then click the centre, and then used region to spy the word to be able to click on it. But understand that this is not the best solution as I have encountered already, even a different resolution stops it.

35979.png

--

Are there any methods like using the dev tools/ inspect source and making a change which then updates the page?  By default the line for this area is different to how it looks when you manually select payroll, but also different to when you click Any tag (despite that being the default choice).

> The ID for payroll has been identified from the page source.
> Keyboard commands like Up and down only move the webpage rather than the dropdown menu.
> Select list item "word" doesn't work in the same way as human action.
> Typing in Payroll and then keyboard command Enter doesn't work.
> Having the dropdown menu as a spied object won't allow you to click to open dropdown
> Dropdown arrow can't be spied separately to the dropdown box words
> Only browser and region spying can select the dropdown. Preferable to use Browser.

Hope this makes sense, I think I will have missed a couple of steps I've tried but thank you for your assistance.  - Matt

1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

harish.m
Level 12

Hi Matthew Charlton,

Since UI mode is not available. Did you get chance to add --force renderer accessibility while launching Web browser? and then  try UI mode is available

I would also try to spy the Dropdown menu - using navigate stage to focus that menu > Use Global send keys and Parent element( Which is the root of teh app modeller) and Enter the drop down which in general will open the dropdown menu and use GSK with  down arrow (You need to use multiple times based on the value you need to select) Once the selection navigated to the element select enter , which will be selected.

Thanks,

Harish

----------------------- If I answered your query. Please mark it as the "Best Answer" [FirstName] [LastName] [Designation] [JobTitle] [City] [State] [Phone]

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

harish.m
Level 12

Hi Matthew Charlton,

Since UI mode is not available. Did you get chance to add --force renderer accessibility while launching Web browser? and then  try UI mode is available

I would also try to spy the Dropdown menu - using navigate stage to focus that menu > Use Global send keys and Parent element( Which is the root of teh app modeller) and Enter the drop down which in general will open the dropdown menu and use GSK with  down arrow (You need to use multiple times based on the value you need to select) Once the selection navigated to the element select enter , which will be selected.

Thanks,

Harish

----------------------- If I answered your query. Please mark it as the "Best Answer" [FirstName] [LastName] [Designation] [JobTitle] [City] [State] [Phone]

MatthewCharlton
Level 2

Hamish, thank you! Those parameters allowed me to select the dropdown box away from browser and region, 

I have then been able to use {DOWN} command to select the item.   I'm just going through debugging it now but that has allowed me to start working with the dropdown menu.. It's odd as it didn't react like a typical one but regardless I'm getting progress.

Many thanks 

harish.m
Level 12

Hi Matthew Charlton,

Glad you are able to  try the work around.