cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need an Opinion for VM Automation

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
I need an opinion about virtual machine automation. I need to log on a VM with Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) from another VM where I have Blue Prism. I performed a test where I could log on the VM using RDC. Then I had to use Region Mode to spy the VM as well as open and close Notepad. I found that.
1. I can't use the keyboard (send hotkeys). Blue Prism does not suggest that for the spied region.
2. If I change the monitor, then it does not work. Again, I have to spy.

Has anyone automated a VM like this? And does anyone have a suggestion for VM automation?

2 REPLIES 2

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15

I have done a similar project to what you describe, automating the Windows Desktop,  it was the most difficult Surface Automation project we ever did and we had our most experienced people on it.  Using windows hotkeys was vital to the project rather than having to use the windows start menu where things can move around (i.e. Win+R was used to launch applications).
That project was a Proof of Concept,  the BPO we were working with eventually went back to their customer and agreed a new environment for robots for automation so that Blue Prism was installed within the VM rather than outside it.

If you are having to automate in the way you are describing there is something seriously wrong with key customer stakeholders not being engaged on the project to provide the robots with their own infastructure.  I would seriously recommend your management starts that engagement rather than sending you down the very difficult road you are being sent down.

For the 'change monitor' issue you describe,  that is because your VM technology is not set up to be persistent and consistent which is a key pre-requisite to RPA.  You are using RDP which is specifically recommended against as a remote access tool because local settings will be overlayed over the VM,  I recommend searching out Blue Prism virtualisation and remote access tool guides to understand the technology you need.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Denis__Dennehy

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you for your valuable information. While working with Blue Prism with this kind of automation, I also realized that it would be more complex and not the actual way to automate the process.