cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade projects form 6.5 to 6.10

SergiGonzalez
Level 2

Hello everyone! 

Due to the upcoming update to the manifest files in explorers to the new version we are updating the Blueprim version for most of out clients from 6.5 to 6.10. The thing is that everyone in my team has little to no experience working with BP and even less has done something like this.

So I'm writing you to know if anyone can give us some good advices, things to consider, and anything that you think that is important, like for example if we can make a direct update to 6.10 or maybe we have to do an update to an intermediate version or whatever.

Thank you very  much!

------------------------------
Sergi Gonzalez
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Sergi Gonzalez,

If you are considering migration to a newer platform, basic prerequisites involve having a backup application server and database server with VDI's where you can test the automations once migrated from an infrastructure standpoint. Other parts also can come into picture such as Service Accounts, setting up login agent policies etc. when you consider migrating.​ You can refer to the following KB article for a better idea: Performing Blue Prism Platform Upgrade

Coming to the version specs specifically upgrading from v6.5 to v6.10 should not pose any separate challenge for you. Just couple of things to keep in mind, have a copy of your database since once you upgrade versions, the database version also upgrades, and it is not possible to downgrade it so keep a backup in place in case you have to revert to v6.5 for any reason while performing the migration.

Apart from this, recently all modern browsers except FireFox have announced that they are changing the way third-party browser extensions are supported. On January 1, 2023, any browser extension that uses their Manifest V2 (MV2) standard will no longer operate.  You can find more details here: URGENT NOTIFICATION RELATED TO USE OF CHROME AND EDGE BROWSERS AS PART OF BLUE PRISM AUTOMATIONS

Hence, I would advise you to check the following matrix once in order to have the proper version of your Chrome or Edge browsers in place for Blue Prism extension to function properly: Browser Compatibility Matrix

With keeping the above approaches mind, your timelines to migrate all your processes will depend on the team size and number of processes you are looking to migrate on a weekly basis considering testing, changes if any required in the code and making sure all the pre-requisites are in place for migration.

----------------------------------
Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please mark it as the 'Best Answer' so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Sr. Consultant - Automation Developer,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.
Blue Prism Community MVP | Blue Prism 7x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please provide a big thumbs up so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Technical Business Analyst,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.
Blue Prism Community MVP | Blue Prism 7x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

Hello @Sergi Gonzalez,

I would add a bit to the previous comment of @Devneet Mohanty .which was already full of information. I can also assure you that going from 6.5 to 6.10 should be a smooth ride.

The key thing for the upgrade I want to emphasize is timing.
There is no backwards compatibility of the clients (on purpose) so once you upgrade BP client for a user, this user has access only to upgraded environments (and vice versa). So if you are in the middle of a transition (i.e. DEV upgraded, PROD still old) and some users need access to all environments you need to compensate (prepare a portable version of 6.5 or lend them an extra computer or VDI).

Stanislava Skřipská Tlustá

Thank you very much for such a detailed answer, I'm sure it'll will help us a lot!

Sergi Gonzalez

Thank you for the info, it'll help us for sure!

Sergi Gonzalez