cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Values being stored as two columns instead of two rows in collection

GracieDevine
Level 4

Hello,

I am writing a process that will receive multiple API calls, store them in a work queue, and work each item one by one in Oracle.

The problem I’m having is that each call is not being stored as a separate row in the collection. Each call is being stored as a column so the process will only work the first item before ending.

Here’s what the process looks like:

36845.png
36846.png

After it receives two scenario names:

36847.png

Could someone please assist? I want it to be two rows, not two columns.

1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi @GracieDevine1

To help you better, we would need to understand how you are actually getting the API Calls collection created first if we can see a way to modify the approach itself while getting API Call results in the first place.

But I can suggest a very easy approach to get the desired results from the API Calls collection that you are getting. After getting this collection, you can use the 'Transpose Collection' action from​ 'Utility - Collection Manipulation' VBO. Below, you can see I have an input collection with the same structure as you have provided:

Input Collection:

36841.png

Now, if I use Transpose Collection action with the following parameters:

36842.png36843.png

Below is the output collection that I get from it:

36844.png
As you can see here, I get an output collection with two columns called 'Name' and 'Value' consisting of two rows now.

------------------------------
----------------------------------
Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please mark it as the 'Best Answer' so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Sr. Consultant - Automation Developer,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.
Blue Prism Community MVP | Blue Prism 7x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please provide a big thumbs up so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Technical Business Analyst,
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

View answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @GracieDevine1

To help you better, we would need to understand how you are actually getting the API Calls collection created first if we can see a way to modify the approach itself while getting API Call results in the first place.

But I can suggest a very easy approach to get the desired results from the API Calls collection that you are getting. After getting this collection, you can use the 'Transpose Collection' action from​ 'Utility - Collection Manipulation' VBO. Below, you can see I have an input collection with the same structure as you have provided:

Input Collection:

36841.png

Now, if I use Transpose Collection action with the following parameters:

36842.png36843.png

Below is the output collection that I get from it:

36844.png
As you can see here, I get an output collection with two columns called 'Name' and 'Value' consisting of two rows now.

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please mark it as the 'Best Answer' so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Sr. Consultant - Automation Developer,
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please provide a big thumbs up so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Technical Business Analyst,
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

GracieDevine
Level 4
Hi @devneetmohanty07

The API calls are being made from Oracle when an associate at my company drops a file into an FTP folder.

When the API called is made, it starts a process called MCS. This process runs a batch file that starts a second process called MCS Runtime. MCS Runtime launches Oracle, enters the info it got from the API call, and then closes. However, when my predecessor created this he thought only one API call would be made.

My idea is to make a separate process that's just the work queue. The work queue will store the API calls in a collection and work through one by one until all the items have been worked.

I don't know how many API calls will be made at once so I just started with two. I don't know if it's possible to have an undefined collection.... ideally I'd like for the work queue to just loop through however many API calls are sent. I wonder if I need to hard-code a number of scenario name inputs and have a limit on the number of API calls that can be made.

Thank you for your answer! And if you have suggestions on modifying this process I appreciate it :)​