cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What versions of Windows are compatible with the Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition?

chris.strong
Staff
Staff

Blue Prism uses a Microsoft SQL Server database as a repository for most data, such as processes, logs, audit, and user information. To keep the installation and setup simple, we deploy Microsoft SQL Server 2017 Express LocalDB for you as part of the Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition.

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 is supported on Windows 8.1 and above and is only available as a 64-bit installation. Therefore, the minimum requirement for Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition is a 64-bit installation of Windows 8.1 or above.

Support Center: What versions of Windows are compatible with the Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition?

------------------------------
Chris Strong
Product Owner
Blue Prism
10 REPLIES 10

Eric_ScottHerma
Level 3
Hi Chris,

I can understand the rationale behind including a "light" version of SQL Server in trial/learning version installations, but are we forced to install an instance of SQL LocalDB for BluePrism to function? Is this also the case in the enterprise licensed versions of BP?

Is there no option for bypassing this and setting up BluePrism with an enterprise version/edition of SQL Server?

I would be more interested in learning how to create a database from scratch than have the process automated in the installation/setup phase - that is unless of course BP uses LocalDB in production instances as well?

Thanks.

Kind regards
Eric

Eric Scott Herman

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your questions.  For Trial and Learning Edition, we have attempted to keep the installation and configuration simple so that you can get straight onto learning and using Blue Prism on a standalone non-production computer.

For a detailed overview of installing Blue Prism in an Enterprise environment, you may find 6.6 User Guide Installing Enterprise Edition useful.

Tip: On the sign in to Blue Prism screen, you have the option to Configure connection.  This lets you connect to alternative SQL Servers.  You will require a license for each database you wish to use.

Re: Are we forced to install an instance of SQL LocalDB for BluePrism to function?

Blue Prism requires a Microsoft SQL Server to function.

Only the Trial and Learning Edition installs SQL LocalDB, the full enterprise application installer does not install SQL LocalDB.  Instead, you have the option to connect to a Microsoft SQL Server of your choosing, including SQL Azure.

We chose LocalDB as it is very light, and the purpose of Trial and Learning Edition is to learn the application without having to manually configure an infrastructure first.  I.e. It's setup on a standalone computer for you.

Note: Microsoft SQL Server LocalDB and Express versions are not suitable for production environments.

Re: Is this also the case in the enterprise licensed versions of BP?

No, for Blue Prism to be used in enterprise, you will need full SQL Server.  I.e. Standard or Enterprise version of Microsoft SQL Server or SQL Azure.

Re: Is there no option for bypassing this and setting up Blue Prism with an enterprise version/edition of SQL Server?

Yes, with the enterprise installation lets you chose which SQL Server to connect to.

Note: An SQL Server instance must be pre-configured prior to the installation of Blue Prism

I hope this answered all your questions?

Chris Strong
Product Owner
Blue Prism

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the prompt response and clarity provided. It is much appreciated.

As you are the Product Owner, just something you might want to consider:

For learning editions the current "all in one" installation with LocalDB  would seem to make sense. In any case I don't forsee many cases where a Standard/Enterprise edition license of SQL Server would be available due to the cost implications. It is especially useful for first time users or those who are not fully acquainted with setting up a database or have had no previous need for one. I am with you on this.

However for trial purposes/companies wanting to conduct PoC's - a "pure" trial version of BP ought to allow the flexibilty of choosing an existing SQL Server database. For example, we have a BPM system which already uses an existing SQL Server Enterprise instance, so it would make more sense to allocate resources to this instance instead of having a separate LocalDB (albeit that it isn't too resource hungry). Trials should be focussed more to companies/instituitions that already have the necessary infrastructure in place, or, are capable of achieving this. As it stands, it seems that the only difference between learning and trial editions of BP are the license limits - which should not be the case. 

I don't mean to sound overly critical - I for one am grateful that BP has decided to allow the software to be generally available to the public. Consider this as constructive criticism for future development.

Kind regards
Eric

Eric Scott Herman

Hello Eric,

Again, thank you for your feedback.

I understand your points, in particular "allow the flexibility of choosing an existing SQL Server database" and "focused more to companies/institutions that already have the necessary infrastructure in place".   

We did think long and hard about this, and decided (to begin with), for a self-serve Trial, we should focus on allowing Trial users to see the capability of Blue Prism, building processes and doing interesting things with your / their own applications.  That's why we are starting with a simple (pre-configured) standalone copy of Blue Prism with Microsoft SQL Server LocalDB.

However, I've noted your comments and we review all feedback.  By virtual you have the full application, we already allow you (in the Trial) to connect to your own SQL database, so it wouldn't be too difficult technically to make this more prominent in a future version, although getting the user experience right may be trickier.  We'll continue to monitor the feedback and will improvement accordingly.

Further information:

• It is possible to connect to a full SQL Server and create a database for Blue Prism on that for your Trial license:
  • When engaged with our sales teams, we have in our toolkit the ability to create a higher-level evaluation license (compared the self-serve Trial), for creating a more in-depth Proof of Concept on your own infrastructure.

Chris Strong
Product Owner
Blue Prism

Hi Chris,

Along with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, is Windows Server also supported? I.e. could I run the free trial on Windows Server?

Thanks
Joe

Joe Nagy
Sr. Director, Product & Industry Marketing
Product Marketing
London

Hey Joe,

Re: Along with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, is Windows Server also supported? I.e. could I run the free trial on Windows Server?

The short answer:
No

Context and Rationale:

Windows Server is not supported for Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition, however we haven't deliberately blocked it from installing.

Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition runs as a standalone app, with Microsoft SQL Server LocalDB on the PC the user is logged into.  I wouldn't see why someone would want to run an app in user-context on a Server Computer (oppose to client PC).

If the Blue Prism Community can share why they would want this, we will consider for a future release.

Chris Strong
Product Owner
Blue Prism

Hi Chris,

Well one reason to consider is that Azure only provides Windows Server instances (unless of course - the user provides their own OS image).
We spin up quick temporary sessions (using our custom Azure image template: Windows Server + SQL server standard) for PoCs or to remotely present prototypes to our clients/partners.

Perhaps another idea for the future would be a "unified" installer. During installation the user can be provided with a choice to install LocalDB (bundled with the installer) or proceed with configuration/creation of a database using credentials for an existing SQL Server Standard/Enterprise instance.

So basically a screen in your .msi installer could allow for the following flow:

Choice 1 = Learning/ Trial edition [If Selected]
                  Option 1: Install LocalDB
                  Option 2 (Advanced): Create DB using exisiting SQL Server instance on machine

Choice 2 = Enterprise edition [If Selected]
                  Default option (same as Option 2 above) = Create DB using exisiting SQL Server instance on machine

That would tie everything up: one installer for learning + trial + enterprise editions, with the flexibility of databases and OS of choice (of course the bitness: x64 or x86 would still apply - that is if there still exists BP in a x86 version?).

Regards
Eric

Eric Scott Herman

Hello Eric.

As always, thank you for sharing your thoughts. 

You've made an interesting point (default Azure instances) to justify why we may want to state Windows Servers are a native platform for Trial and Learning Edition.  We deliberately targeted client PCs for the self-serve Blue Prism Trial, on the belief that would best serve the people wanting to take a Trial of Blue Prism. 

Re: Perhaps another idea for the future would be a "unified" installer

All valid points and we did consider developing a single installer, to enforce consistency and simplify the user journey by removing the choice of which installer to utilize.

To begin with, we started by combining the installer and changed to deliberately split the installers in two (Enterprise and Trial/Learning Edition) so that we could keep the size of the Enterprise installer msi to the smallest possible size.  Including Microsoft SQL Server LocalDB as a distribution within the installer added around 45mb, which we didn't want to do.

We also didn't want to degrade the user experience for Enterprise customers or Trial / Learning Edition users by providing additional options to think about when installing, before getting on with using Blue Prism.

I expect to keep separate for the foreseeable future, but we're open to combining again at some point in the future.

Re: …that is if there still exists BP in a x86 version?

Yes, for the Enterprise product, we provide both an x64 and x32 bit installer.

If you have access, you will find the x86 installer on the product page on our customer portal: https://portal.blueprism.com/products/enterprise

I think I'm addressed all your points Eric and hopefully provided you some context to our choices.

Kind regards

Chris Strong
Product Owner
Blue Prism

Hi Chris!
My laptop have windows 7 x64 but  trial or learning version of blue prism don't  support windows 7. I will be very thankful to you if you help me to get an older version of blue prism trial/learning for me

Maksym Vitsenko