cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to create a new release - change management

johwes
Level 4
Hi.

I am wondering if there is any best practice when it comes to changes in BP processes. When do you create a new release, and when do you simply fix/change a minor thing in your process?

Let's say a single object in a process running in the prod environment turns out to be unnecessary and you remove it. Does this cause for a new release to be created? The release packages contains the version of the process as it was when you created the package right. So if you change the process in the Studio, do you create a new release package afterwards? Or do you simply update the excisting package? 

When do you create a new release, and when do you simply update the package?

------------------------------
Johanna Westlund
RPA manager
MAIK AS
/Norway
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

GauravDhiman
Level 5
Hi Johanna,
BP release is a package itself,So when you make changes in the process it definitely overwrites the original one,the best practice is to comment in the changes box when you save the process.

Release is proprietary and developers can only make changes in the process/Object studio ,and any change made to the process/Object must be documented in Release Note Document or organisation's internal change management document.

Also,if the changes are being made to environment variables or session variables then SDD needs to be updated with the date and changes made.
if you want to dig more deep into the BP best practices,refer to the "Robotic Operating Model" guides available on BP portal,you can refer to the change management templates.

Regards.

Gaurav Dhiman
RPA developer,ROM Architect
Melbourne,VIC,Australia
0413 930 960
Gaurav Dhiman RPA developer,ROM Architect Melbourne,VIC,Australia 0413 930 960

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
I'd say there's no right or wrong way Johanna. For the minor change where only one object has changed, I'd probably edit the original package rather than make a new one every time. Or perhaps retain the full package for reference (eg if you every need to migrate to a new environment) and create reusable 'delta' package for smaller changes. But I wouldn't create a new package every time, the UI will soon get very full and unmanageable. Directly importing a single VBO will obviously work, but it's a less 'visible' change, so maintaining the discipline of only using packages/releases will create a stronger control and better audit trail.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

GauravDhiman
Level 5
Hi Johanna,
BP release is a package itself,So when you make changes in the process it definitely overwrites the original one,the best practice is to comment in the changes box when you save the process.

Release is proprietary and developers can only make changes in the process/Object studio ,and any change made to the process/Object must be documented in Release Note Document or organisation's internal change management document.

Also,if the changes are being made to environment variables or session variables then SDD needs to be updated with the date and changes made.
if you want to dig more deep into the BP best practices,refer to the "Robotic Operating Model" guides available on BP portal,you can refer to the change management templates.

Regards.

Gaurav Dhiman
RPA developer,ROM Architect
Melbourne,VIC,Australia
0413 930 960
Gaurav Dhiman RPA developer,ROM Architect Melbourne,VIC,Australia 0413 930 960

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I will make sure to check out the guides mentioned. 

Johanna Westlund
RPA manager
MAIK AS
/Norway