cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BP Travel template

SamLima
Level 7
33790.jpg
there are folks claiming that BP Travel using wrong way to handle exceptions. 
"The exception handling in the image does not contain any concurrent exception logic. This means there is nothing stopping every item in the Work Queue being marked with the exact same System Exception"

is there said correct?

what I see that there's nothing wrong since we have solution after recover stage to solve system exceptions & internal, as well as there's a retry logic, both in every sub-page included within block in in page

What do yo think?

------------------------------
Sam Lima
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi Sam,

I won't say that the solution given here is incorrect or wrong exactly. But, yes it can be made better for sure and with a logic to handle consecutive system exceptions of similar type your solution would become more resilient in case you are having a large number of cases that can be affected if such an exception handling logic is not applied.

Suppose, if there are 120 items which need to be processed and let say your application is down due to a server unavailability issue and let say by the time process complete the issue is still persisting then you can imagine that all of my 120 items would be marked as exception which can indeed be unnecessary and would be wastage of handling the resources.

Better approach here would be to mark three such consecutive items as exception and then stopping your process altogether with an exception email being sent out to business that the application is currently down and have the details of the three items sent out which got marked as exception so that they can work on those items manually if required. If business tells us that we need to work on them automatically, we can also have a logic to add such items to a separate queue from where we can always query the items first if any are available and process those before going to the original queue.

One more benefit that you get with this approach is that business gets notified well ahead of time since email gets sent out after working on 3 such items instead of 120 during the downtime so here if any SLA is associated with each individual work items, then business can take the appropriate actions as they seem would be necessary for such items.

So to answer your question, this is not a wrong approach for sure but it always can be improved and at the end it all drills down to what is the need of business and how your solution should be handling such cases to adhere to their needs.

----------------------------------
Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please mark it as the 'Best Answer' so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Sr. Consultant - Automation Developer,
Wonderbotz India Pvt. Ltd.
Blue Prism Community MVP | Blue Prism 7x Certified Professional
Email: devneetmohanty07@gmail.com

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please provide a big thumbs up so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Technical Business Analyst,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.

View answer in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi Sam,

I won't say that the solution given here is incorrect or wrong exactly. But, yes it can be made better for sure and with a logic to handle consecutive system exceptions of similar type your solution would become more resilient in case you are having a large number of cases that can be affected if such an exception handling logic is not applied.

Suppose, if there are 120 items which need to be processed and let say your application is down due to a server unavailability issue and let say by the time process complete the issue is still persisting then you can imagine that all of my 120 items would be marked as exception which can indeed be unnecessary and would be wastage of handling the resources.

Better approach here would be to mark three such consecutive items as exception and then stopping your process altogether with an exception email being sent out to business that the application is currently down and have the details of the three items sent out which got marked as exception so that they can work on those items manually if required. If business tells us that we need to work on them automatically, we can also have a logic to add such items to a separate queue from where we can always query the items first if any are available and process those before going to the original queue.

One more benefit that you get with this approach is that business gets notified well ahead of time since email gets sent out after working on 3 such items instead of 120 during the downtime so here if any SLA is associated with each individual work items, then business can take the appropriate actions as they seem would be necessary for such items.

So to answer your question, this is not a wrong approach for sure but it always can be improved and at the end it all drills down to what is the need of business and how your solution should be handling such cases to adhere to their needs.

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please mark it as the 'Best Answer' so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Sr. Consultant - Automation Developer,
Wonderbotz India Pvt. Ltd.

Hope it helps you out and if my solution resolves your query, then please provide a big thumbs up so that the others members in the community having similar problem statement can track the answer easily in future.

Regards,
Devneet Mohanty
Intelligent Process Automation Consultant | Technical Business Analyst,
WonderBotz India Pvt. Ltd.