cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PvD_SE
Level 12
This idea applies to the Ideation page. 

When I hover my cursor over any name on the Ideation page, the author's name and some details pop up. When I want to browse the details of an idea, I have to click it to go to the details page. As most idea description texts are too long to be shown in the overview page, 10 outa 10 cases you have to click to the details page. 

Could a similar hover-functionality as above be implemented on the description text for an idea?
3 Comments
MelanieGiuliani
Community Team (Retired)
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your idea! The team has taken a look at this, and have determined that this is not currently possible to implement on our current platform. As such, we've marked this idea as Not Planned. 

Thank you,
Melanie
PvD_SE
Level 12

Hi Melanie,

Sorry for my (very, very) late response. Yes, I do know you're just the messenger.

Hard truth, but still truth:
In my IT career that started a few decades ago, I have yet to sell the 'Nope cannot be done' answer to any of the requests that made it to my desk.
Surely that would have been in my mind on the question 'How can we deliver this parcel to Mars?', but still I would have given it a lotta thought before breaking with my thirty-odd year tradition.
However, when asked to invent the internet I would not have blinked and immediately have broken with it. I never got that question and, fortunate for all of us, someone else fixed that!

In my limited experience, I have found the following to be valid for Enhancement requests:
  • can be easy to implement
  • can be hard to implement
  • can be very hard to implement
  • can be extremely hard to implement
  • may seem impossible to implement
  • are too expensive to be implemented
Whilst the first four options can always be implemented and hopefully help to learn something new, the latter two seem more devious. 
Using 'Too expensive' is a relative argument that always should be looked at again, waging the pro's and con's against each other.
The 'May seem impossible' is the one that put BP on the map, as has it all other great (software) companies. This is what keeps me in IT! Not maintaining the stuff made thirty years ago that was great then, no getting the new stuff to our users.

I now assume the argumentation used to reject my proposal was slightly flawed and should have been in the 'Too expensive' category.

Notably, there's no 'cannot be done' category in my list above - it shouldn't as progress would then come to a complete halt. Nor do I hope or assume it needs to be added before I retire in a few years.

Happy coding!
---------------
Paul
Sweden
AmyTsaousi
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Paul, thanks for your feedback.

As we’ve finished carrying out a number of interviews with various community members, this feedback has been given to the product teams to improve our ideation processes.

This means statuses like 'not planned' and 'under consideration' will be optimised with the goal for better transparency and accountability from our side.

I’ll hopefully be able to reveal our enhancements to the program very soon.