cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decipher installation

AllanNicolas
Level 3
Hi.
We have a fully functional BluePrism (6.9) application server connected to a BluePrism database.

We want to install Decipher IDP.

Installation documentation says that we need tohave sql server express installed. Later on it says that "If you already have Blue Prism installed you just need to create a Blue Prism database for use with Decipher IDP – you will need to reference this when installing the Decipher Licensing Service."

So does this mean that we need to create a NEW database in this NEW sql server express for the strict use of the Decipher Licensing Service later?

Basically we are NOT to use the existing blueprism database currently being used by the blueprism application.

------------------------------
Allan Nicolas
Enterprise Wide Application Manager
Sanmina
America/Vancouver
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hi, Allan,

to give you a bit more information - Decipher Licensing Service is checking your existing Blue Prism database for Decipher license. You need to import Decipher license file into your existing Blue Prism environment. That is the connection between Decipher and your Blue Prism environment.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Zdenek

Zdeněk Kabátek
Head of Professional Services
NEOOPS
http://www.neoops.com/
Europe/Prague

View answer in original post

9 REPLIES 9

You can have both DB (BP and Decipher) in a common server on SQL Express.
Attaching SS.
10073.png

Thanks & Regards,
Tejaskumar Darji

Hi, Allan,

to give you a bit more information - Decipher Licensing Service is checking your existing Blue Prism database for Decipher license. You need to import Decipher license file into your existing Blue Prism environment. That is the connection between Decipher and your Blue Prism environment.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Zdenek

Zdeněk Kabátek
NEOOPS
Europe/Prague

Thank you for the replies ... perhaps I need to restate my question ...

What is the best practice?

Should I have 2 separate sql servers , 1 to host the blue prism database, the other to host the decipher database?

Or should I have only 1 sql server with both databases in it as Tejaskumar's screenshot shows?

Allan Nicolas
Sanmina
America/Vancouver

Hi Allan,

As far as I can see as Zdenek said, Decipher DB reads license file from Blueprism DB so I believe both DB should reside in a common server but however others can confirm if this is the sure shot case.

Or if it is possible to have both DB in different server and they can handshake to get license verified.

Need to confirm this thing.

Thanks & Regards,
Tejaskumar Darji

Hi, Allan,

both ways are possible and will be working. Though if you have Decipher database on different SQL server it may bring additional challenges :). For PoC I strongly recommend to have it on one SQL server to make it simple.

Regards,

Zdeněk Kabátek
NEOOPS
Europe/Prague

GaryBurt
Staff
Staff

Allan, (and those who replied) - 

Firstly thanks for bringing the lack of clarify in the documentation to our attention - I have now requested that this is clarified and updated.

- SQL Server express is only recommended for PoC use only. SQL Server should be used for production environments (this is the same as the main Blue Prism guidelines). 

- For a PoC a single machine and single database can be used, but for production use it is recommended that the Decipher installation is separate to the main Blue Prism installation. 

- As has been covered- the licensing functionality for Decipher is part of the Blue Prism database function, so what happens when you start the Decipher service is that Decipher checks the main Blue Prism database for the licence key. If you have only one instance of SQL this is clearly on the same machine. 

Internally within the Decipher product team we mostly use a virtual machine (Oracle VM Virtualbox) with a single SQL server express database for demos and non-performance testing. 

kind regards, 

Gary Burt
Decipher Product Manager,

Gary Burt
Blue Prism
Blue Prism

Thanks Gary (and everyone).

I went and redid this install ...

BP Application installed in it's own VM server (bpappsrv)
SQL Server (not sqlexpress) installed in it's own VM server (bpdbsrv) ... this contains both the blueprismdb and decipherdb
Finally, installed decipher licensing server, decipher server, decipher clients server and decipher web server in 1 VM server (deciphersrv)

Is this the recommended best practice for a production environment?

Allan Nicolas
Sanmina
America/Vancouver

Hello Allan ,
Did you get any feedback on the recommended production architecture for decipher when it comes to the machines hosting each of decipher licensing server, decipher server, decipher clients server and decipher web server ? Is it recommended to install each of them in different servers or should we install all of them in one single server. I am assuming some of them can be combined , whereas some should be split in order to make sure that the processing happens effectively in parallel, but there is no mention of this in any documentation. Do let me know if you have any feedback based on the set up you had done in your environment. 

Sandeep Satish
Asia/Kolkata

Hi Sandeep,

There is a sizing guide published ...
Sizing Guide

See if this helps you.

regards

Allan Nicolas