cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel VBO without Excel installed

ShaneC
Level 2
I'm not the developer but my company is trying to implement Blue Prism to read, write & Save to an excel document but they don't want to have Excel or Microsoft Office installed on the servers.

Is it possible to read, write & Save using the VBO without Excel installed?  If not is there a way to not have to install the whole application but certain components to make it work.

The basic idea is we have an excel document that must be read, this data will be posted to another application and then we need to write status reports back to the excel file and save it for review.

------------------------------
Shane C.
4 REPLIES 4

NilsZwart
Level 3
I cant completely understand your question. 
By not installed on the servers would that mean that it is installed locally?  if so it would be a big and easy yes. However if you mean that there is no Excel software at all then No it is not possible. Its like asking can you swim nut there is no water.

Personally when I get these question I ask if a user can do it manually if the answer is yes then I look at the program`s they use.
For us (due to IT being uncool) using a RDS (remote desktop services) application is a immediate NO to the process.
After I will mirror the rights and applications used by the user to the robot.

Nils Zwart
Developer
SVB
Europe/London

Thanks, that answered my question.  They do not want Excel installed on any of our Servers which is where Blue Prism is running, so based off your answer they will need to make an exception if they want this process to work.

Thanks

Shane C

Jeah but if you have it available on your own machine it doesn't need to be installed on the server and with Blueprism you can make use of that.

That said we work with virtual machines where on each machine we install software separately.  Just like a normal Employee.

Nils Zwart
Developer
SVB
Europe/London

PeterLacken
Level 7
Hi - as advised Excel needs a license but if it is simple reading and writing of data to a file then perhaps a CSV format will work. See the Utility - File handling and Utility - String to create a text csv and write to file. No MS license required. CSV are also readable from Excel for those users that need to read the data and have an Excel license.

PeterLacken
Ren Røros Intelligent Automation
Peter.Lacken@rria.no
http://www.rria.no