cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutomateS.exe

Walter.Koller
Level 11

Hello,

After doing a fresh install of BP v7.3.1 on Windows Server 2019 VM I noticed the created shortcut on the Desktop points to AutomateS.exe instead of Automate.exe.

Why does is AutomateS used instead of Automate?

What is the difference on using one over the other?

Is there anything to consider when using one or the other?

Thanks

Walter

Blue Prism Enterprise v7 

1 BEST ANSWER

Helpful Answers

steven.boggs
Staff
Staff

Hi Walter,

AutomateS.exe is the launch mechanism for the Blue Prism user interface, to which the Blue Prism installer creates a shortcut in your Start menu and desktop.

This executable is used to display a splash screen while Automate.exe compiles, then AutomateS is closed once Automate.exe (Blue Prism user interface) is displayed on screen.

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

david.l.morris
Level 14

I have always wondered this as well. Any ideas, @John__Carter ?

I've tested out both Automate.exe and AutomateS.exe many times, and I never found a difference. MS Edge's AI answer says that AutomateS.exe is optimized for running as a Windows Service. But AI chatbots make stuff up a lot. 😃

Dave Morris, 3Ci at Southern Company

John__Carter
Staff
Staff

Hmm I don't know @david.l.morris - pretty sure the S stands for splash screen. I think in earlier versions it did nothing other than display the splash screen if you ran the exe. My guess is that at some point since it was tweaked to launch Automate.exe if AutomateS.exe was started directly.

steven.boggs
Staff
Staff

Hi Walter,

AutomateS.exe is the launch mechanism for the Blue Prism user interface, to which the Blue Prism installer creates a shortcut in your Start menu and desktop.

This executable is used to display a splash screen while Automate.exe compiles, then AutomateS is closed once Automate.exe (Blue Prism user interface) is displayed on screen.

@John__Carter @steven.boggs Omg, if I had just gone and double clicked them both, I might have noticed the splash screen only shows when running AutomateS.exe. 🤣 

Dave Morris, 3Ci at Southern Company

Walter.Koller
Level 11

Oh wow... I checked and also the shortcut for BP v6.9 is pointing to AutomateS.exe. Since we only see the Windows process automate.exe when using Blue Prism I wouldn't have expected there is another executable.

Thanks for the information.

We were particular interested to see if we might have to take the automateS.exe in our considerations for logging, auditing, firewall clearance, security (AV, ...), ... Good to know it will work as always 😄

Thanks

Walter