cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capture run error

MartinGriffith
Level 2
Hi, I've downloaded capture as both the exe and MSI files multiple times, always installs successfully, but whatever I do, whenever I run the application I get a javascript error (see screenshot).  I read the known issues and tried disabling my antivirus entirely, this doesn't seem to change anything...once I have the error you can see, if I press OK or close the error window, the capture loading screen remains frozen, and I have to end the application through task manager to get rid of it.  Any idea why the program won't run, or what the solution might be?  My laptop easily exceeds the requirements and I'm not running lots of other programs or anything.  I have repeatedly uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted the machine, shutdown, updated windows, etc but can't get any other result.  

Thanks, 

Martin
4886.png

------------------------------
Martin Griffith
7 REPLIES 7

TomChiles
Staff
Staff
Hi Martin, 

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems. 

Do you know if you successfully stopped the antivirus scan entirely? It looks like similar problems customers have had, where their antivirus is blocking the backend of the application until scanning is complete, and then it runs successfully, so it's odd this is a recurring issue. 

Could you please send a screenshot of the second half of the error if you scroll down please?

Best regards, 

Tom 

Tom Chiles
Product Manager Blue Prism
Europe/London

Hi Tom, 

Yeah I've been assuming from the known issues listed that it was antivirus, but I've definitely turned the whole antivirus off inc real time protection, I even turned my firewall off as well and tried again this morning and still got the same error!  I'll keep trying to find any other 'protection' on this machine but I'm pretty sure everything is off now.  The 2nd half screenshot is attached

Th
4865.png
anks

Martin

Martin Griffith

Hi Martin, 

Could you please try
1) fully delete/uninstall all versions of Capture
2) go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp and delete \comtypes_cache folder
3) reinstall/download v2.

Please let me know if this changes anything. 

Best regards, 

Tom

Tom Chiles
Product Manager Blue Prism
Europe/London

Hi Tom, 

I've tried these steps - I don't seem to have that temp/cache file - I don't have an 'appdata' folder under my username, but I've also searched the whole drive for various parts of the filename and come up with no results.  I have however cleared all temp files, downloads, etc from my machine and removed all traces of Capture install files and versions.  Still the same error!

Any more ideas?  Thanks for the help on this!

Martin

Martin Griffith

Hi Martin,

The AppData folder is hidden by default on Windows 10, please could you enable this setting shown below in your File Explorer:
4874.png
Thanks,

Rhys

Rhys Lintern
Product Owner
Blue Prism

Hi Rhys, 

Ah ok, thank you - found it and that seems to have done the trick!  

Thanks very much for your help with this - it's actually quite useful that things didn't work straight away for me as I'll probably be the one trying to get some of our clients to install and record, so atleast I know now a couple of possible fixes if they have any trouble!

Thanks again to yourself and Tom

Martin

Martin Griffith

Glad to hear it resolved the issue Martin!

Rhys Lintern
Product Owner
Blue Prism