cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming Resources

AlexFrancis
Level 3
Hi,

We were wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to change the names of the resources in the Control Room to give them a nick-name or anything similar?

Is it something you would actually have to do on the server rather than in the Control Room?

Thanks

------------------------------
Alex Francis
RPA Developer
Swinton Insurance
6 REPLIES 6

GopalBhaire
Level 10
I don't know if this'll work but try mapping IP address of resource PC to desired name in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file or else you'll have to change machine name of the resource pc I guess.

Gopal Bhaire
Analyst
Accenture

Walter.Koller
Level 11
I have created an enhancement request for this feature some time ago.
Normally resource (DNS) names are generated and assigned by IT with specific purpose in mind and might be partially have meaning, but this is primarily for management purpose. Those names are not 'nice' to be used in Blue Prism, having completely different view on resources.

Since robot resources are self-registering at the application server, changing names will be a little tricky.
There might be to internal method to resolve the resource name.
  • the app server asks the resource to provide the name, in this case the network name on the resource has to be changed
  • the app server does DNS lookup by resource IP address, here the DNS register has to be changed to at least add an alias. The question is then how BP acts with alias names and if they are even considered.
I guess the second situation is actually used (as there is the option to in System tab to use short and/or FQDN names, only available through DNS lookup)
But both approaches need IT department do some configuration.

One possible workaround is to create folders/groups for resources (System tab, Resources / Management) and name them as you wish.

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Group IT International GmbH
Europe/Vienna

Hi Walter,

Thanks so much for your reply, with regards to the workaround, is this within Blue Prism? Or in folder structures, we are on version 4 and are upgrading to 6.5 soon. We only have options of Resource Management and Pools in the Resource section under System Manager.

Thanks

Alex Francis
RPA Developer
Swinton Insurance

Hello,

Those folders can be created directly in Blue Prism in Resource Management\Resource.
We started with Blue Prism version 6.4, so I dont know if this is a new feature or if it is already available in version 4. This might have been introduced along with multiple team support and improved permissions.
If you not choose Pools but the other view on your resources, try to right click in the Active Resources window to the right.
Otherwise I hope it is not so critical and you can wait for 6.5 🙂

Walter Koller
Solution Manager
Erste Group IT International GmbH
Europe/Vienna

Hi Gopal,

Many thanks for your reply. I had a look  but the name isn't defined in there and not sure it would be wise to touch it without permission from IT. Thanks for your help, looks like we will just have to wait for 6.5 🙂

Alex Francis
RPA Developer
Swinton Insurance

Thanks Walter, looks like we will have to wait for 6.5 🙂 Many thanks for your help

Alex Francis
RPA Developer
Swinton Insurance