cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send Email From Draft

Jessie_Jaye_IIQ
Level 3
Hello Everyone,

Has anyone encountered where in Outlook VBO sporadically leaves an email in the DRAFTS folder instead of sending it?

Has anyone created a solution wherein after a cycle, Blue Prim will check the DRAFTS folders and send all of the emails saved in that folder?

Thanks!

------------------------------
Jessie Jaye II Quema
RPA Configurator
HSBC
Asia/Hong_Kong
4 REPLIES 4

brad_doucette
Level 3

​I am experiencing this same issue though I am finding that it almost always adds an email in the DRAFTS folder even if the email is sent.

Once Outlook is started for the next run of the process, it will automatically send out anything in the DRAFTS folder, resulting in duplicate emails.

America/Toronto

DaveMorris
Level 14
This is a common problem with the MS Outlook Email VBO. The VBO is much more stable than MAPIEx, but it appears that it comes with its own set of issues.

Some organizations start Outlook up in order to ensure the emails don't get stuck in drafts/outbox. I guess the instance of Outlook must be closing too quickly before the email is sent sometimes.

In my opinion, the right way to solve the problem is to not use Outlook (the desktop app) to send emails. There are a couple of options. The easiest is SMTP. If your organization doesn't allow using SMTP, then you could also consider Graph API if you have someone who knows how to configure it and make calls to it.

I suppose there may also be a code solution to the problem by having it check the outbox and drafts folder when sending emails to ensure that the invisible instance of outlook isn't closed too quickly. But I never went that route.

Edit: I should also mention that the Agilify EWS object on the Digital Exchange is another good option for solving the issue. You should be able to do this without any coding and without needing more permissions. But note that the object is not perfect. In my opinion though, it's much better than sending with the MS Outlook Email VBO. https://digitalexchange.blueprism.com/dx/entry/16835/solution/ms-exchange-functions---agilify

Dave Morris
3Ci @ Southern Company
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

​Hello  Dave,

Looks like you are on point with the Outlook closing early. We found this out last week and made the necessary adjustments.

Jessie Jaye II Quema
RPA Configurator
HSBC
Asia/Hong_Kong

Hi, would you please walk us through the adjustments you made? What did you do exactly?
Thanks

Tomas Rehak
RPA Developer
VUB Slovensko
Europe/Bratislava