cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Attach to Notepad

TimsySangal
Level 4
Hi All,

I am trying to attach to an instance of notepad that is already running.

When notepad is launched by simply double clicking on the file,Blue Prism is able to attach to it.

But when it is launched by selecting the option,"Run as administrator" by right clicking on the file or sending the keyboard shortcut-CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER,Blue prism is not able to attach to this instance.It throws an error-"Could not open the target process".

How can we get Blue Prism to attach to the instance of notepad which is run as an administrator.

------------------------------
Consultant
Capgemini
4 REPLIES 4

Did you try using the Notepad VBO in Blue Prism? You can use the Launch action to open the notepad, which should automatically attach it. 

Also, "Run As Administrators" is used for programs and not text-based notepad files. You may be opening the file using Notepad editor but it's probably an exe file. So if you are in fact trying to run a program, then use the Start Process action in Utility - Environment VBO.

Pratyush Garikapati
ROM Architect
Blue Prism
Asia/Kolkata

Hi Pratyush,

Thank you for your response.

I am using Blue Prism version 6.4.The Notepad VBO is not available in this version.Can you pls share the link to download the same.

I am trying to edit a configuration file.I am able to launch the file using the start process action in the Utility-Environment VBO. After it is launched I have to write some lines into the file and then save it.In order to write into the file,i am trying to attach to this instance of notepad and the attach action fails every time.

Consultant
Capgemini

That's strange, it should be available with the product installation. I am attaching it here as well.

Pratyush Garikapati
ROM Architect
Blue Prism
Asia/Kolkata

Hi Pratyush,

Thank you for sharing the VBO.I will go through this and share the updates with you.

Thank You.

Consultant
Capgemini