cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BluePrismScheduleMonitor fails on startup

MartinMayrhofer
Level 4
Hello,

i've tried to start the BluePrismScheduleMonitor.exe which i've download from DX (Function for Blue Prism Schedule Monitor - 1.0.1; https://digitalexchange.blueprism.com/dx/entry/9648/solution/blue-prism-schedule-monitor).
But the start fails with this error message: "Failed to decrypt using provider 'DataProtectionConfigurationProvider'. Error message from the provider: Key not valid for use in specified state.".

How can i get the right key to decrypt the locally stored configuration settings?
3 REPLIES 3

Hi Martin,

I reproduced the same error and solved it with the below steps.

1. Open the config file (BluePrismScheduleMonitor.exe.Config) in Notepad (or similar)
2. Erase all of its contents and paste in the below XML snippet
3. Save the file
4. Run BluePrismSchedulerMonitor.exe and see if that eliminates the error

Let me know how that goes. I think I have the root issue identified. I will follow up with info about a v1.0.2 update that would fix this permanently.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
  <startup>
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.7.2" />
  </startup>
  <appSettings>
    <add key="LoggingEnabled" value="false" />
    <add key="LogFolderLocation" value="" />
    <add key="MaximumLogFileSize" value="100" />
    <add key="MaximumNumberOfArchivalLogs" value="3" />
    <add key="MinimumLogLevel" value="0" />
    <add key="EmailSmtpHost" value="" />
    <add key="EmailSmtpPort" value="" />
    <add key="EmailUsername" value="" />
    <add key="EmailPassword" value="" />
    <add key="EmailUseSsl" value="" />
    <add key="EmailRecipients" value="" />
    <add key="DatabaseConnectionType" value="0" />
    <add key="DatabaseServer" value="" />
    <add key="DatabaseName" value="" />
    <add key="DatabaseUser" value="" />
    <add key="DatabasePassword" value="" />
    <add key="DatabaseAdditionalParameters" value="" />
    <add key="DatabaseCustomString" value="" />
    <add key="LastRunTimestamp" value="" />
    <add key="CurrentRunTimestamp" value="" />
    <add key="ClientSettingsProvider.ServiceUri" value="" />
  </appSettings>
  <system.web>
    <membership defaultProvider="ClientAuthenticationMembershipProvider">
      <providers>
        <add name="ClientAuthenticationMembershipProvider" type="System.Web.ClientServices.Providers.ClientFormsAuthenticationMembershipProvider, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" serviceUri="" />
      </providers>
    </membership>
    <roleManager defaultProvider="ClientRoleProvider" enabled="true">
      <providers>
        <add name="ClientRoleProvider" type="System.Web.ClientServices.Providers.ClientRoleProvider, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" serviceUri="" cacheTimeout="86400" />
      </providers>
    </roleManager>
  </system.web>
</configuration>​
Charlie Kovacs Sr. Digital Exchange Engineer Blue Prism Austin, USA

Hi Martin,

v1.0.2 is ready for download: https://digitalexchange.blueprism.com/dx/entry/9648/solution/blue-prism-schedule-monitor

I recommend starting fresh with this update rather than the steps in my other answer (copying/pasting that XML from this web page created a separate encoding issue). Let me know how this works.

Important to note: Even with this new v1.0.2, when you run BluePrismScheduleMonitor.exe for the first time, its ability to encrypt/decrypt the config gets bound to that computer. If you then move/copy the Schedule Monitor folder to another computer, you will see this encryption error again. In reality, the Schedule Monitor is not really portable between computers currently.

My recommendation: Just take care to download a fresh copy from the DX and only run the .exe once you have it placed on the computer where you want it to run long term.
Charlie Kovacs Sr. Digital Exchange Engineer Blue Prism Austin, USA

BinitAmin
Staff
Staff
@CharlieKovacs - For this ScheduleMonitor asset that you created, do you know if it can be expanded to integrate with type of API calls from say, a Blue Prism process?

Thanks,
Binit​
Binit Amin Customer Success SS&C Blue Prism