cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graph API Outlook - Inconsistencies in SendMail-function

til.minet
Level 5
Hello community,

We recently established our app registration and are getting ready to use the Graph API objects from the DX. I started to experiment with the Graph API Outlook VBO and found the following issues. I am a little worried that I just scratched the surface.

There are three different requests that allow me to send or prepare e-mail-messages. "Send Mail", "Create Message" and "Create Message in Folder".

I suppose "Send Mail" would be one of the actions most commonly used. The input parameters allow me to define a body content - but I cannot choose if I want to send the body as text or HTML. The parameter has no description and I can only find out what content is expected by looking in the Web API definition. If I want to send an e-mail in HTML, which we mostly did with the Outlook VBO. Even worse: There is a parameter "saveToSentItems" in the request body which is also hard-coded. The description of the Send Mail-action tells me that the message is saved in "Sent Items" by default. Too bad that this parameter is hard-coded as "false" in the request body.

To my understanding it should be possible to choose the content type as an input parameter. Same for saveToSentItems.
7871.png

Next action is "Create Message". Same story, but the content type is hard coded as "HTML". No description about that either.

7873.png

And, to sum this up, "Create Message in Folder". From my understanding this should at least behave the same way as "Create Message", but see for yourself - hard coded body content as text again.
7875.png

Do I misunderstand something or is there still room for optimization in this API definition? With these mistakes in even the most basic actions I tend to get the feeling that it might be easier and less frustrating to create the whole definitions myself.

Does anybody have more experience with the other assets? Are the other ones more usable than this one?

Best regards
Til

------------------------------
Til Minet
RPA Developer
EWE AG Germany
Oldenburg
30 REPLIES 30

Can you share the link to the VBO associated with this API ?

Pavan Immadisetty

Can you share this VBO as a release please

Pavan Immadisetty

@PavanImmadisett,

The link is listed in the thread above, but here it is again:

https://digitalexchange.blueprism.com/dx/entry/3439/solution/microsoft-graph-api---outlook

Cheers,

Eric Wilson
Director, Integrations and Enablement
Blue Prism Digital Exchange

Sorry.  I should have been more clear.  The link gives me a release with the WebAPI alone.  I am looking for the object with actions to call that API.

Pavan Immadisetty

Hello @ewilson and @Sheabin George,

May I know how to get the content-byte?
@ewilson in other thread you replied "You can get the bytes by using the Calculation stage". How can I use Calc stage? I mean what should go inside it?

Also, can I upload any file size (>4MB) using Send Mail api?​​​​​

If I was of assistance, please vote for it to be the "Best Answer".

Thanks & Regards,
Ravi Singh
Sr. Software Engineer RPA
If I was of assistance, please vote for it to be the "Best Answer". Thanks & Regards, Ravi Singh Sr. Software Engineer RPA Labcorp

Hey @ewilson

I think I got this.​ Thankyou for the support.

May you please let me know whether or not I can transfer a file (>4MB) using "Send Mail" api.

Thanks & Regards,
Ravi Singh
If I was of assistance, please vote for it to be the "Best Answer". Thanks & Regards, Ravi Singh Sr. Software Engineer RPA Labcorp

@RaviSingh,

The Microsoft Graph documentation isn't entirely clear on limitations with regards to attachments.​

If you look at the documentation for the Send Mail action, there's no mention of limits on the attachment size for direct attachments (which is what our action is performing). However, if you look at the Add Attachment endpoint documentation, it states:

"This operation limits the size of the attachment you can add to under 3 MB." 

So the only advice I can offer is that you should test it to verify.

Cheers,

Eric Wilson

Always check the DX.

https://digitalexchange.blueprism.com/dx/entry/3439/solution/microsoft-graph-api---outlook

Cheers,

Eric Wilson

@ewilson

Thankyou so much for your support. I will test and let you know as well.​

Thanks & Regards,
Ravi Singh
Labcorp

@ewilson

Hope you are doing great!

I tried sending attachment >4MB using SendMail and it failed with 413 error. 

Any recommendation, which api I can use and how to use?

Thanks & Regards,
Ravi Singh
Labcorp