cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Outlook VBO

Ernest1
Level 4
Hi,
For MS Outlook sending from one address and getting replies at another is possible. If you want to send your messages from one address but prefer to receive replies at another (at least most of the time), Outlook handles the reply-to field for you after you change one account setting.
How to put in sending messages a return different address?
Is it possible to handle the "Reply to" function available in outlook by MS Outlook VBO?

I will be appreciated for any advice.

------------------------------
Marcin Grzelak
RPA Developer
Open Life TU Życie S.A.
Europe/Warsaw
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

From what I can tell, this is not currently possible using Microsoft's Outlook API (likely seen to be a security concern).

However, if you're able to send messages using SMTP instead, one of the options in the smtp.send method will let you specify the from address. Theoretically, this does not require delegate access.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.net.mail.smtpclient.send?view=netcore-3.1

Ami Barrett
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism
Plano, TX

View answer in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AmiBarrett
Level 12
It sounds like you're trying to send as a delegate. The below code should be inserted before mail.Save and mail.Send. It expects an inbound Text/String by the name of SendFrom.

if SendFrom <> Nothing
	mail.SentOnBehalfOfName = SendFrom
end if

Ami Barrett
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism
Plano, TX

Hi Amit,
thanks a lot for your response.
however, what you are proposing is sending messages on behalf of, so I need to have access to the mailbox of the user on behalf of whom I am sending the message. I need to send a message like below:

User 1 -> will send a message to customer
Customer -> will receive the message
Customer -> will reply to the message
User 2 -> will receive a this message
How can I give a different reply address to this outgoing message.

Please kindly see this article and sections: "Change default reply to address for all email messages sent from a specific account"
https://kb.intermedia.net/article/2387

Regards,
Marcin

Marcin Grzelak
RPA Developer
Open Life TU Życie S.A.
Europe/Warsaw

From what I can tell, this is not currently possible using Microsoft's Outlook API (likely seen to be a security concern).

However, if you're able to send messages using SMTP instead, one of the options in the smtp.send method will let you specify the from address. Theoretically, this does not require delegate access.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.net.mail.smtpclient.send?view=netcore-3.1

Ami Barrett
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism
Plano, TX

Hi Marcin,

Are you able to use the Forward action instead? Reply by definition goes back to the original sender. Forward should allow you to specify a different To Email Address freely. In the Outlook VBO shipped with v6.8, you will also have the ability to alter the subject line for the Forward action to become different than the original. You may very well use this feature to alter the subject so it acts like reply by adding the prefix "Re: ".

Bruce Liu
Senior Product Consultant, Professional Services
Blue Prism
Australia/Sydney

Thanks a lot for reply.
It is true that it is possible via SMTP / POP.
Unfortunately, my organization uses Exchange 😞
I will be looking for a different solution.

Marcin Grzelak
RPA Developer
Open Life TU Życie S.A.
Europe/Warsaw

It is true, it goes back to the original sender.

I need to send a message like below:
User 1 (bot/digital worker) -> will send a message to customer
Customer -> will receive the message
Customer -> will reply to the message
User 2 (employee) -> will receive a this message
The customer usually replies to the message but not forward it (forwarding requires an e-mail address)

Marcin Grzelak
RPA Developer
Open Life TU Życie S.A.
Europe/Warsaw

In most cases, I've seen that businesses who use Exchange also have a set of SMTP info you can use. Have you checked with your IT group to see if this applies where you're at?

Ami Barrett
Sr Product Consultant
Blue Prism
Plano, TX

I used SMTP protocol and it works!!

but I see that sometimes in the 'sent' folder on the outlook there are no some messages that was sent via my robot. When I download sent messages with the VBO 'get sent item' (basic) functions they are the email are available as sent. Do you know why?

Marcin Grzelak
RPA Developer
Open Life TU Życie S.A.
Europe/Warsaw