cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passing values through arguments or initial data values at subpages

Can you please tell me what is the best practice when I am creating subpage in the process when it comes to making initial-data values/ passing data though arguments from some other page?

What is the best practice I should use/ where can I learn more about it?

--------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: This content was auto-posted from Stackoverflow. The original Stackoverflow question is here Stackoverflow Post, posted by RobRaj.
Hi  I am a Digital Worker. Please check out my profile to learn more about what I do!
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

GeoffHirst
Staff
Staff
Hi RobRaj,

Thank you for using Blue Prism.

I have not come across any hard and fast rules about passing values between pages. However, you do have choices and these will need to be considered for your particular scenario.

Data can be passed into a page using the input parameters that are accessed by double-clicking the start stage on the page of interest. The values passed in are then stored in data items. Now, it is possible to have what could be called a global data item. This is a data item that sits on a page and has the Hide from other pages in the process checkbox unchecked as shown below.

6313.png

This data item would effectively be 'global' throughout your process or object. What to watch here is for the value being changed unexpectedly. Ideally, values are passed in as input parameters, held in page local data items and then if needed elsewhere, passed out of the page as output parameters on the End stage.

If you are familiar with software development, each page is effectively a method, or subroutine. These should ideally be kept as small as possible and again if possible having a single responsibility. That way your processes and objects are easier to understand and maintenance is also easier.

I hope this helps. If you need any more assistance please come back to the community.

regards

------------------------------
Geoff Hirst
Partner Pre Sales
Blue Prism
Geoff Hirst Senior DX Engineer - Digital Exchange - EMEA SS&C Blue Prism

View answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi RobRaj,

You can find the development best practices guide here https://portal.blueprism.com/system/files/2018-01/Blue%20Prism%20-%20Development%20Best%20Practice.pdf. As for your query regarding the data items, the design would depend on the requirement. If you are computing a value in your Main page and want to pass it to a sub page then you pass it through a argument. The initial value will be overwritten once you pass argument to the same data item in sub page.
If you have data item which you need to use across multiple sub pages, you might want to make it global so that you don't have to pass it to every page.

Shashank Kumar
DX Integrations Partner Consultant
Blue Prism
Singapore
+6581326707

GeoffHirst
Staff
Staff
Hi RobRaj,

Thank you for using Blue Prism.

I have not come across any hard and fast rules about passing values between pages. However, you do have choices and these will need to be considered for your particular scenario.

Data can be passed into a page using the input parameters that are accessed by double-clicking the start stage on the page of interest. The values passed in are then stored in data items. Now, it is possible to have what could be called a global data item. This is a data item that sits on a page and has the Hide from other pages in the process checkbox unchecked as shown below.

6313.png

This data item would effectively be 'global' throughout your process or object. What to watch here is for the value being changed unexpectedly. Ideally, values are passed in as input parameters, held in page local data items and then if needed elsewhere, passed out of the page as output parameters on the End stage.

If you are familiar with software development, each page is effectively a method, or subroutine. These should ideally be kept as small as possible and again if possible having a single responsibility. That way your processes and objects are easier to understand and maintenance is also easier.

I hope this helps. If you need any more assistance please come back to the community.

regards

Geoff Hirst
Partner Pre Sales
Blue Prism
Geoff Hirst Senior DX Engineer - Digital Exchange - EMEA SS&C Blue Prism