cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleanup page not called at process end

Dahos
Level 3
Hey,

I have a simple object with just 1 click action.
I have added a navigate action in the initialize page to start the application and 1 terminate action in the cleanup page to close the application (set using the terminate option for the object in application modeller)

I create a process containing just that one click action.

Now, the initialize page gets called and the application opens but the cleanup page is never called at the end of the process. I do get a log message saying process completed but it doesn't call the cleanup page.

Am I missing something?

------------------------------
Abc Def
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

I guess I figured out what's happening. If we read the note stage on the clean-up page carefully it says 

1037.png

Check out this thread which clears such doubts --> "https://community.blueprism.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=145&MessageKey=19455f9c-761a-4fed-aac2-9460fc5301a3&CommunityKey=3743dbaa-6766-4a4d-b7ed-9a98b6b1dd01&tab=digestviewer"

If you want to try it out just call your notepad process from some other process, and it will terminate the notepad as soon as the underlying notepad process completes (Here it is Process1 where I'm calling notepad process)
1038.png

So it's like blue prism keep it in memory and it stays in memory till process/session is running and released when process/session is completed or terminated or stopped. So when blue prism releases it from memory at that time it calls the Clean-Up page of each associated object which is in memory,

It just the way we understand it. Generally, I've seen BP solutions using separate Logout and Terminate pages created on object level and published so that they can be called from the process layer as and when necessary.

Thanks & Regards,
Tejaskumar Darji
Sr. RPA Consultant-Automation Developer

View answer in original post

8 REPLIES 8

david.l.morris
Level 14
I tested the scenario you described, and it works for me. I have a navigate stage in the Initialise page that launches an app (Notepad), and then a navigate stage in the Clean Up page that terminates the app.

What version of Blue Prism are you using?

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

@Dave Morris,

Thanks for replying.

I am using the v6.10 on trial.

Yes, it's supposed to be working that way.

Here are the selections I made in the Application modeller (in case you notice anything odd):​​
Defined new application model,
windows application,
launched from executable,
provided path,
disabled hooking,
application manager mode: Embedded [default]
All other options kept blank

I tried it again with the Notepad application but it didn't work. 

Do you think I should try re-installing the application?

Abc Def

Hmmm, is there any chance you could attach your process/object here? I tested again from 6.10.1, and it's working, but I don't think this is likely to be a 6.10 issue.

As a side note, if I were you, I'd reinstall, but I'd actually go to 6.10.1 since several issues were resolved that 6.10 has.

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

@Dave Morris

Attaching the test process and object. (ignore the typo for the object)

If this works, I'd rather just install 6.10.1.

Thanks again for taking the time. ​

Dahos

@Dave Morris

Attaching the test process and object. (ignore the typo for the object)

If this works, I'd rather just install 6.10.1.

Thanks again for taking the time. 

Dahos

I loaded your Process and Object in my BP 6.10.1 and it is not terminating notepad. Let me also see what's happening.

Thanks & Regards,
Tejaskumar Darji

I guess I figured out what's happening. If we read the note stage on the clean-up page carefully it says 

1037.png

Check out this thread which clears such doubts --> "https://community.blueprism.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=145&MessageKey=19455f9c-761a-4fed-aac2-9460fc5301a3&CommunityKey=3743dbaa-6766-4a4d-b7ed-9a98b6b1dd01&tab=digestviewer"

If you want to try it out just call your notepad process from some other process, and it will terminate the notepad as soon as the underlying notepad process completes (Here it is Process1 where I'm calling notepad process)
1038.png

So it's like blue prism keep it in memory and it stays in memory till process/session is running and released when process/session is completed or terminated or stopped. So when blue prism releases it from memory at that time it calls the Clean-Up page of each associated object which is in memory,

It just the way we understand it. Generally, I've seen BP solutions using separate Logout and Terminate pages created on object level and published so that they can be called from the process layer as and when necessary.

Thanks & Regards,
Tejaskumar Darji

That makes perfect sense now @Tejaskumar_Darji.

Thanks for your time and for writing a detailed answer.
I'll probably go with an additional terminate page rather than relying on cleanup for that.

@Dave Morris, thanks. It was my bad. ​​

Dahos