Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April 28th Ask Me Anything: Browser Migration

JamesW
Community Team
Community Team
Hi Community! 

With Internet Explorer increasingly unsupported by multiple services, now is the time to move to another browser. But which one? And what will you have to do? Well that's what we're here to help you with.

We're excited to offer you a new way to engage with Blue Prism product experts in real time! On April 28th at 3-4pm (Australia) 10.30-11.30am (India), our experts Bruce Liu and Ashish Easow will be available right here in the Blue Prism Product community for a live Ask Me Anything session where they will answer your questions about Browser Migration.  

You should also check out this fantastic video Bruce put together to walk you through some of the challenges: Blue Prism: Browser Migration webinar

So, how does it work?

1) Enter any questions you have on the topic into the comments below - in advance is absolutely encouraged.
2) Pop back here on April 28th 2021.
3) Our experts will answer any questions that have been left here ahead of time, and will be on standby to answer any new questions that come in live during the 1 hour long session

Want a reminder to join the session? RSVP - or click "Download to Your Calendar" in the event here: Ask Me Anything: Browser Migration

So, do you have any questions on Browser Migration with regards to the Blue Prism product? Why not post below - now's the time to ask us anything!

------------------------------
James Woods
Community Manager
Blue Prism
Europe/London
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

JamesW
Community Team
Community Team
Thank you for all your questions, and special thanks to @Bruce Liu and @AshishEasow for taking the time today to put together some great answers.

Stay tuned to the Community for a write-up of this session, and details of forthcoming Ask Me Anything sessions.​

James Woods
Community Manager
Blue Prism

Like this post? Click recommend!
If I answered your question, please mark as Best Answer!

View answer in original post

23 REPLIES 23

HarshitRawat
Level 8
Hi Team,
I have below questions to ask -

a) Related to conversion utility - In some post i read that not all elements spied using different spymodes are converted to equivalent elements for Chrome/Edge/Firefox.
Is there any plan to enhance the conversion utility soon ?

b) Do we have any support doc available based on which users can decide which would be the best alternative to Internet Explorer , depending on the type of web app we are trying to automate ?

c) There is an Idea titled "Update Navigate and Write stages to work with responsive webdesign" and marked as Under Consideration . This talks about enhancing the Navigate and Write stages to fix the issue when the inputs by  Navigate and write stage don;t get registered by the webpage . It would be great if this iDea can be evaluated on priority 

Thanks

Harshit Rawat
Senior RPA Consultant

Hello,

Thanks for the opportunity. I have few questions though.

1. When the browser mode will work as it is working like HTML mode. if it's an enterprise tool why those options "Use fixed browser extension port". It should work seamlessly without choosing any other option as it's happening for other tool. I means if I am not selecting the fixed browser extension why it's throwing error "127.0.0.1 with append URL". Because it's no meaning of giving option to do testing without fixed port.

2. Can Browser automation become as stable as IE 
automation. Till now it's not. We are seeing lot of things are not working as expected or not good as IE. 

3. Please provide a proper Browser automation Technique for future​.

Amlan Sahoo
RPA Consultant
Equinix
Regards,
Amlan Sahoo

Hello,

Can we expect better and production-grade stability on chrome and edge with BluePrism 7.0 upcoming version?

Because currently, chrome/edge automation is really not a stable solution, unlike IE.

Thanks & Regards,
Tejaskumar Darji

NagarjunaAtukur
Level 4
Hi Team,

Kindly clear my below doubts on Browser migration.

1. Why AA spy mode is not available for Chrome browser?
2. Is there any way to get/release BP_Chrome_Plugin manually?
3. Chrome automation is not as good as IE browser. Do we have any documents/KB articles which will help us to make it more stable.
4. Do you recommend any version of BP and Chrome browser for stable chrome automation?

Thanks,
Nagarjuna Atukuri
AMEX

Nagarjuna Atukuri
Sr Programmer
American Express
Asia/Kolkata

DeborahParfitt
Level 3
Hi Team

Recommendations for Edge Chromium customisations and related settings for Group Policy

We have recently installed Edge Chromium web browser to become our default browser in Aug 2021
Our virtual runtime resources profile is controlled by Group Policies. AS a result, the Lets Get Started, Welcome page and Blue Prism Edge Extension have to be enabled or reset each day.
Please can you recommend the ideal Edge Chromium customisations and related settings to work with Blue Prism and Run Time Resources so this can feed into our Group Policies?

Thanks

Deborah Parfitt
RPA Process Analyst
BNPParibas PF UK
Europe/London

VitJurica
Level 2
Hello
I have a few questions to ask

1. Why AA spy mode is not available in Browser-based Application? When we switch object from Browser-based Application to the Windows Application and spy elements in AA mode, then switch object back to
Browser-bases Application elements are recognizable.
2. Can we expect Browser automation to work same as IE? There are things missing, not working very well or not at all, like extension is crashing, Document Loaded condition is missing, elements cannot be clicked, etc.

Thank you

Vit Jurica
Senior Developer
Europe/Prague

jhogelp
MVP
Hi Team,

I have 2 specific questions:
  1. There will be special support from Blue Prism for clients with many automated processes that use IE?
  2. Will you provide support material or documentation on the changes and adaptations necessary to migrate the processes developed with IE to Chrome / Edge / Firefox. For example: spied items in IE and Chrome / Edge / Firefox equivalents?

Thanks

Jhogel Ponne
Senior RPA
Ernst & Young
America/Panama

Hi Harshit,

Thanks for your questions.

a) Conversion is currently possible from IE based HTML objects to modern browser equivalent of Chrome/Edge/Firefox. Conversion rules are being fine-tuned on as-needed basis ongoing. We welcome any inputs from the community as to areas where current conversion rules are either not sufficient or lacking to increase conversion accuracy.

AA to UIA conversion is also offered on objects already converted to modern browser mode, as a 2nd pass using the tool.

Win32 mode conversion is not covered by the tool as there may not always be interoperability between different browser elements spied using this mode. We would advise you to re-engineering those elements and associated actions during your migration process so you can be sure these would still function under the modern browser mode.

If anything is missing, please kindly make us aware of it.

b) I would advise not to look at this question from Blue Prism's point of view. We do support all three browser types. As long as such browsers are supported by the web applications, developer experience in interacting with those web browsers should be largely the same.

The support of web application is mainly driven by the following two factors:
  1. organisation preferred browser option
  2. web application support of browsers and versions

c) Ideas can be bumped up by customers by supporting the specific idea from the communities page. As per the support obtained by the idea, product team evaluates and implements the suggestion. Unfortunately implementation of ideas is not in the scope of this discussion.

Bruce Liu
Senior Product Consultant, Professional Services
Blue Prism
Australia/Sydney

Hi Nagarjuna,

Thanks for your questions:

1. Please see below support center article and community discussions:
https://portal.blueprism.com/customer-support/support-center#/path/Automation-Design/Application-Integration/Chrome/1201264262/Why-is-there-no-Accessibility-Mode-when-using-Browser-based-Chrome-in-App...

https://community.blueprism.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=9bb5e34d-095a-4907-9395-4a7d6e0e5209&CommunityKey=3743dbaa-6766-4a4d-b7ed-9a98b6b1dd01&tab=digestviewer#bm...

2. You are able to find instructions on manual browser extension deployment using the following three links, one for each type of browser:
Chrome
Edge
Firefox

3. In addition to what my colleague Ashish has suggested on another post above, I would highly recommend the Blue Prism University Course titled Modern Browser Automation. The link to this course is included below

https://university.blueprism.com/learn/course/internal/view/elearning/16731/blue-prism-modern-browser-automation-en (thanks for the correct  link, Nagarjuna!)

You may also download a PDF copy of the guide as a handy go-to reference.

4. We have been gradually improving how Blue Prism works with modern browsers over time. Generally speaking, you will have better user experience with a more recent versions of Blue Prism than those that have been release earlier. We will be revamping the way how Blue Prism software communicates with modern browsers by introducing a feature called "native messaging host". Blue Prism will no longer require any port to talk to the browsers, the fixed port option in System Settings will also be removed as a result. Native Messaging Host is expected to be released alongside v7, as well as v6.11, though the feature is still in testing.

Bruce Liu
Senior Product Consultant, Professional Services
Blue Prism
Australia/Sydney