cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice for Transitioning Objects/Processes from IE to Google Chrome

MarcMoran
Level 3
Hi there,

I am currently part of a team looking to transition all of our existing processes that currently run using IE over to Google Chrome before the IE EoL deadline later this year. We currently have around 2200 IE elements in all of our objects. We are not intending to make the switch to Chrome immediately - this will be a gradual transition where processes are switched over one by one, and so we need to keep all of our IE objects intact until such a time that there are 0 IE processes left using these shared objects.

We have looked at duplicating every object we have, however as we have upwards of 200 IE objects currently in use this would result in a lot of clutter and make the environment very hard to manage - although this is not something we are discounting as a last resort

It is possible to change the application type to Chrome in the application modeller, and add in new Chrome elements alongside existing IE elements. This has been tested with one object being capable of both attaching to and interacting with Chrome and IE windows in the same page. My intention was to include a choice stage which would decide whether each object attach and carry out it's function within Chrome or IE, with the variable controlling this choice stage being passed through from the parent process.

However, I am unsure if spying IE and Chrome objects within the same application modeller will cause issues that I can't forsee yet, and so I'm looking for clarity on whether anyone else has had success using a similar method, or if anyone else has any tips on how to make mass re-spying of objects from IE to Chrome as easy as possible. How have you dealt with your transition?

------------------------------
Marc Moran
Senior Process Automation Officer
Renfrewshire Council
10 REPLIES 10

Hi @MarcMoran

Hope your migration to Chrome from IE went OK.

If not, as @Bruce Liu mentioned, we've got some great Browser Migration content ​​coming up:

1. A Browser Migration video webinar Bruce created
2. An "Ask Me Anything" session on Browser Migration on April 28th.

If you have any insights to share, or unresolved questions or issues, it would be great if you could pop a post in the thread ahead of the session.

Best

James

James Woods
Community Manager
Blue Prism
Europe/London