cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Prism 6.10.5 - Issue Terminating Google Chrome

TheoHenderson
Level 2
Today my company upgraded from Blue Prism 6.10.4 to 6.10.5 and have been experiencing issues with Business Objects using the Terminate action to close Google Chrome.

ERROR: Internal : Failed to perform step 1 in Navigate Stage 'Terminate' on page 'Terminate O365' - The attempt to close the browser timed out. Some webpages may not have been closed but they will now be detached from Blue Prism. Please ensure all browsers with the Blue Prism browser extension installed are closed before continuing.

On investigation it appears the Google Chrome Browser has successfully terminated but I am still getting the above error.

The Blue Prism 6.10.4 Browser Extension is installed and active on Chrome (for the moment we have decided to stick with the Manifest V2 browser extension).

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

**UPDATE**  - Upgrading to the Manifest V3 Browser Extension 6.10.5 appears to resolve the issue. However, due to some of our processes using JavaScript invocation or injection we wish to remain on V2 for now.

------------------------------
Theo Henderson
RPA Developer
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

Hello,

Blue Prism has confirmed that it's a defect.

BP-12244

https://portal.blueprism.com/customer-support/support-center#/path/Upgrade-Expansion/Upgrade/1579866972/What-are-the-known-issues-in-Blue-Prism-Version-6-10-releases.htm

Look here for more details and their proposed work around.

Thanks,
Bharadwaj.

Bharadwaj Janagani

View answer in original post

13 REPLIES 13

PvD_SE
Level 12
Hi Theo,

I have not experienced this exact behavior. But, as you state it is a 'Terminate' action on the Chrome browser that crashes, I would not mind doing a resume-recover followed by a 'Kill process' action on "chrome".

Thanks for completing with your 'Manifest V3...Extension' info, very helpful for others (we) embarking på the same journey.

Happy coding!
---------------
Paul
Sweden
Happy coding!
Paul, Sweden
(By all means, do not mark this as the best answer!)

ManpreetKaur1
Level 8
Thanks @TheoHenderson for sharing the upgrade to Manifest V3 Browser extension information. It was useful.​​

Manpreet Kaur
Manager
Deloitte

Dompel
Level 2
We have the same error with MS Edge.

Dominik Pełka
Robo Shepherd
DTM
Europe/Warsaw

TheoHenderson
Level 2
Quick Update: Upgrading to Manifest V3 Browser Extension 6.10.5 only temporarily resolved the issue.
A few hours after posting my last update the original issue returned:

ERROR: Internal : Failed to perform step 1 in Navigate Stage 'Terminate' on page 'Terminate O365' - The attempt to close the browser timed out. Some webpages may not have been closed but they will now be detached from Blue Prism. Please ensure all browsers with the Blue Prism browser extension installed are closed before continuing.

I've had to adjust our processes to use Utility - Environment - Kill Process to kill the Chrome process rather than use the Terminate Action.

Since the upgrade to 6.10.5 Chrome based processes are also taking a significantly longer to complete.
It appears Business Objects are taking a lot longer to identify and interact with on-screen HTML elements. 
However, when the VM is rebooted performance returns to normal.

Theo Henderson
RPA Developer

Hello Everyone!!

We have upgraded from Blue Prism v6.10.3 to v6.10.5 for Security Patch and also added Manifest V3 Browser Extension 6.10.5 for both Chrome and Edge.

As @TheoHenderson mentioned
​, we too encountered performance issues in Edge as our Business Objects are taking longer time to identify and interact with HTML elements. Even we did a re-start of the VMs multiple time, but still issue remains same. Usually, each work queue item will take around 5 minutes but now it is taking more than 50 minutes. So wanted to know if anyone has experienced this kind of issues?

Arunkumar Manoharan

Hi Arunkumar,

We have also upgraded from v6.10.3 to v.6.10.5 with the MV3 browser extension for Chrome.

I have noticed the slowness you described while running an object that interacts with Chrome on the interactive client in the test environment. But it doesn't always occur. Sometimes the process runs as fast as usual (without restarts of the interactive client). These are my latest test results:

Run 1: fast

Run 2: fast

Run 3: slow

Run 4: slow with time out in wait stage

Run 5: slow with time out in (a different) wait stage

Run 6: fast

During slowness I have also seen the error Theo mentioned in his first post with a Terminate Action. I replaced the Terminate Action with a Close Window action. This may not have been necessary, because the Terminate Action works fine when the object runs fast.

Hans Viertelhauzen

Hello,

Recently we have also migrated to V6.10.5

Since then we are also observing slowness in execution of some processes but not for all browser based processes.

Let all know if someone finds a way to solve it. Parallelly we are also investigating the issue on our side as well.

Thanks.

Regards,

Bharadwaj.

Bharadwaj Janagani

Hei everyone!

Dont know if this is related but we also had some issues on slowness when updating from 6.10.2 to 6.10.5 (and browser extension from V2 to using V3). We noticed our browser processes (using Chrome) slowing dramatically after couple of tasks, sometimes it would be straight after starting the process. Tasks that would normally (before updating) take around 30s to complete would now take 10 min or more.

After a couple of days we summarized that in our case it was also about terminating the browser/chrome that caused this.

We were using "kill process" and somehow everytime this was used and then the browser again reopened/launched, it slowed down.
Though manually closing the browser and then re-launching it using BP would return everything back to normal.
This would happen also with closing the process using cmd manually (like 'taskkill /F /IM chrome.exe /T' or so), so we ended up changing the "kill process" to just simply closing Chrome by activating the application and sending "%{F4}" to the browser.

This is only a work-around though, would be nice to get the "kill process" to work again.

Laura Rajala
RPA Developer
Varma Mutual Pension Insurance Company
Europe/Helsinki

Thanks you @Laura Rajala for the workaround. We are facing the same issue as described, we were using cmd to kill the task since kill process wasn't working.

We found at the server location also ​causing the slow ness issue, On Premise was working fine where as cloud server causing the slowness.

MuraliKrishna
Senior Consultant - Wonderbotz