cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Prism application will not connect unless it is opened by [Run as different user] > input admin credential

HARRYATTRIDGE
Level 2

Hi all,

(My apology for any inconvenience if this is the incorrect location to post; I am seeking potential help, so am grateful for any insights.)

[Context]

I am a Helpdesk/Support member at a corporation that has a handful (5 or less) users of Blue Prism application upon their Windows PC.  One single user is experiencing a problem to successfully open and connect the Blue Prism application of his PC; I and my Helpdesk colleagues are trying to improve our understanding of the application, but cannot yet resolve the following problem.  So, I/we are grateful for any advice.

[The problem]

The individual user had been opening, connecting, and utilising the Blue Prism application successfully, day-in, day-out, until last week.

Currently, if the user simply selects the application, it does open to the initial screen for "Sign in to Blue Prism" - but, a pop-up/error notification is received, stating "Error: could not connect to "Production".  The caller was not authenticated by the service."

The kicker:

If the user instead selects the application, but does [Shift]+[right-click] and selects [Run as different user] and if a [Domain\administratorusername] administrator credential is input, Blue Prism opens completely normally, and the user CAN successfully connect.  (The error, "Error: could not connect to "Production".  The caller was not authenticated by the service." is simply not received.)

It is so mystifying, because, as mentioned, the problem simply did not exist until last week.  The problem has arisen is out of the blue (no pun intended).

So far, we cannot identify any changes in the environment that would stick out as an obvious clue as to why Blue Prism suddenly does not like the user (e.g. there have been zero changes to the user's standard domain user account, etc.).

[Environment detail]

The user logs into Windows by a standard [Domain\Username] credential.
He uses a standard PC used across the entire user estate, running Windows 10 21H2 19044.
No other of our handful of Blue Prism users have this problem.

[Troubleshooting]

The user's PC has been restarted more times than we can count.
The Blue Prism application of the user's PC was uninstalled and re-installed, several times.  Subsequently, the problem remained unchanged.
The PC's local anti-virus and web filters were temporarily disabled, but the problem remained unchanged.
The problem persists regardless of whether the user's PC is connected directly to the company's network at office, or if connecting by VPN from outside.

[Further comment]

Atop all of this, the exact same user experienced the exact same problem in June of this year.
I and my team similarly spent approximately a week trying to troubleshoot the problem, to no avail.
The decision was made to migrate the user to a different company PC - the PC he is currently using.
Upon migrating the user to the replacement PC, and upon installing Blue Prism, everything worked perfectly fine - Blue Prism connected without incident.
This functioned consistently, until the problem reared its head again, last week.

It is not sustainable to change this user's PC, every time the problem arises.  But, I am a bit stumped as to what could cause the problem - especially since no other user experiences this problem, and there are no material differences between any of the Blue Prism users.

I attach a picture from the user's desktop, showing (centre) the problem to connect Blue Prism when selecting it normally, and (right) an instance of Blue Prism connecting perfectly fine, when it was opened via [Run as different user].

---

Thank you for reading this far, and thank you to anyone who has any thoughts; I will happily try anything.

If any key information is omitted that could help unravel this mystery, I will do my best to provide it.

Best regards all,

-Harry

1 REPLY 1

JordanHarvey
Level 4

This looks to perhaps be a problem with how the web service is configured on the application/orchestration server.

Are you able to provide some more info about how the environment is configured and how Blue Prism is configured to connect to the server?