cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chrome in BP 6.9 -- New Tab not spyable in Browser Mode

DaveMorris
Level 14
Hi Everyone,

I want to make sure this is actually a bug before I report it as such. As of this week (potentially with the recent update to the browser extension), I've found that Blue Prism 6.9 has issues with spying Chrome elements in Browser Mode after you open a new tab. I should mention that, for what I'm describing, I've tested this on a Virtual Machine as well as locally on my own computer, and the behavior is the same. In both of these environments, the behavior was different, let's say, a month ago or so, but I hadn't tested this frequently recently until this week.

I'm actually noticing a couple of issues, but I think one of them may already be known due to an issue with the ephemoral ports setting. I'm not sure if it's related or not.  So, what I'm describing I found to be the case whether that setting is on or off.

If I use Blue Prism 6.9 to launch Chrome with a Starting URL, it (usually) attaches correctly and the HTML elements are spyable using Browser Mode. But if Blue Prism or even if I manually click a link that triggers the next web page to open in a new tab or I just open a new tab and navigate to another webpage, the elements are not spyable in that new tab.

There are a couple things you may consider suggesting based on this (and you'd be right to suggest them as possibilities), so let me head off a couple of them that I am aware of already. First, I do not think this has to do with whether the ephemoral port setting is on or off. I did only a little bit of testing with each, but it does appear to behave this way consistently regardless of that setting. Second, it isn't (or at least shouldn't be) an issue with Chrome generating new Windows processes for new tabs. I say it shouldn't be because we have an existing automation that worked in 6.7, 6.8, and 6.9 (before the most recent update to the Chrome extension) including using elements in the new tab. Granted, in 6.9, it worked slow due to the slowness issue. Now that the extension has been updated, it's no longer slow, but it cannot identify elements in new tabs.

Let me know if anyone has run into this as well and whether you found a workaround. I haven't found a workaround just yet, but I'll be looking into it again tomorrow.

Thanks!

------------------------------
Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA
27 REPLIES 27

Hello all,

I'm happy to confirm that we have now published a new version of the Blue Prism browser extension, 2.2.0.7, which should address the attaching of new tabs in ephemeral mode without introducing an impact to performance.

The extension should now be live on the Chrome, Edge and Firefox stores and available for use - anyone using the previous extension (2.2.0.6 for Chrome and Firefox and 2.2.0.3 for Edge) should have seen their extensions automatically update now the patch is live.

Regards,
Rob

Robert Nicklin
Senior Product Owner
Blue Prism
Warrington, England
Robert Nicklin Product Manager Blue Prism Warrington, England

HI Robert,

We are facing issue for Browser mode spying issue for Salesforce lihtning application and ITSM application.
We recently upgraded Blueprism 6.9 and we tried to spy for Chrome version  84.0.4147.125 but still we are unabel to spy with browser mode.

Please sugest solution for this.

Thanks and Regards,
Pallavi Metar,
Senior Consultant,
Capgemini

Pallavi Metkar
Consultant
capgemini
Indian/Antananarivo

Hello Pallavi,

I'm unable to tell whether your issue is directly related to the issue mention in this thread or not - you say you cannot spy a page with browser mode but there's no mention of whether you're opening a new tab in process and it's just the new tab that is suffering from this issue?

If you're using the latest version of the browser extension and finding that you're unable to spy a tab in browser mode then I would recommend opening a support ticket so we can get the right people on board to help you vs. discussing over the community.

Regards,
Rob

Robert Nicklin
Senior Product Owner
Blue Prism
Warrington, England

Hi Robert,

I am not using New Tab. Simply on main page spying is not working using browser mode.

Pallavi Metkar
Consultant
capgemini
Indian/Antananarivo

Hi Pallavi,

The issue described is different than the one discussed in this thread. As mentioned in my previous post, I would suggest opening a support ticket so this can be progressed by the support team who are better suited to provide assistance.

Regards,
Rob

Robert Nicklin
Senior Product Owner
Blue Prism
Warrington, England

Hi,

Identified same issue with Blue Prism 6.10 using Chrome 6.10 extension, this was working fine with Blue Prism 6.6 version. Now the new chrome tab is unable to attach or spy any element even using match index it always highlights the main chrome. Can you please look into this. Please let me know for more information. 

Thanks,
Ranjit
RPA Lead 
Sony Pictures Ent.

Ranjit Miryala

Hi Ranjit,

That issue should be fixed in both 6.9 and 6.10, and it looks like the last update to the extension was in November 2020. Is there any chance you have an old version of the Blue Prism 6.10 Browser Extension? I imagine the only way that's possible is if you have automatic updates turned off in the extension settings, but it seems possible. I'm using 6.10.1 right now, and it doesn't appear to have that issue. I guess that fix to the 6.9 browser extension 'could' have fell through the cracks and not made it into the 6.10 extension. I'd first verify you have the most recent version of that extension though.

Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

Please find attached 3 screenshots, for your reference.

Just verified with Blue Prism 6.10 in Firefox browser with extension 6.10.1 and issue is still the same. Appreciate if we can spend some time immediately to look into this issue. I am flexible for any. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Ranjit

Ranjit Miryala