cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Element in Chrome not found

ArkadyDudko
Level 4
Hello,
We are having a strange situation that when we run our process in designer, everything works fine. The elements are identified, and can be interacted with,  but when we run it inside a control room the process terminates with the following message

ERROR: Internal : Failed to perform step 1 in Write Stage 'Write Username and Password' on page 'Login to Lander' - No element matched the query terms

this is being experienced in Chrome 79, and 80 with extensions 2.0.0.1 on Blue Prism 6.6

Any suggestions of how to troubleshoot this behavior?

thanks!

------------------------------
Arkady Dudko
6 REPLIES 6

KiranAnnangi
Level 3
Hi Arkady Dudko, usually process runs very fast in control room compared to running in designer. 
please use a wait stage before the write stage and check whether the username exists on the screen or not using check exists action in wait stage.

Kiran Annangi
Software Engineer
Dxc Technologies
Asia/Kolkata

DaveMorris
Level 14
I think that Kiran answered the question well, but I just wanted to add a comment or two. You may know this, but it's important to know that navigate, write, and read stages never implicitly wait for an element to load before trying to work with the element. So, as Kiran pointed out, you'd want to use an intelligent wait stage to wait for the entire page to load or wait for a specific element to load or something like that.

If this is a web app, I would suggest using an intelligent wait stage at the beginning of each of your actions that waits for the entire page to finish loading. This only works with an HTML element. The drop-down in the Wait stage line would be either Check Exists, Document Loaded, or Parent Document Loaded. Any of these three are fine to use, but they serve different purposes:
  • Check Exists: Waits for an element to be found up to the max timeout
  • Document Loaded: Waits for the page to load but does not care about whether any particular element is found and will wait for the full page to load up to the max timeout
  • Parent Document Loaded: Waits for the page to load and ALSO waits for the particular element to be found and will wait up to the max timeout. I usually use Parent Document Loaded because it effectively performs the job of both Check Exists and Document Loaded at the same time.

Just wanted to give my thoughts in case it helps!

Dave Morris
3Ci @ Southern Company
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

CraigFarley
Level 3
Hi Arkady

We've had quite a few issues like this recently with Chrome. Is your version of Chrome supported by the version of BP that you're running? Newer versions seem to not be playing ball so if your Chrome is allowed to auto-update you may run into issues.

You can view compatibility matrix here:
https://bpdocs.blueprism.com/bp-6-7/en-us/Guides/chrome-firefox/chrome-firefox.htm

Craig Farley
Partner Apps Manager
IPI
Europe/London

Hi Craig, and thanks for the reply!

Our Chrome versions are under control of our PlatEng group, and is updated as part of automatic roll-outs. It appears that we are currently on Version 80.0.3987.132 ( version that is not even listed yet in the table you referenced.)  The Blue Prism version we are using is 6.6 - which appears to have been certified with 76.0.3809.132 Chrome. 

So if i understand the table correctly we should upgrade to 6.7 if we want better compatibility with current Chrome? keep up with versions and addressing incompatibilities is becoming  full time job 🙂

thanks,
Arkady

Arkady Dudko

Thanks for weighing in , Dave. I am not really clear tho on what the "intelligent Wait" is and hot to implement. 

Also what we are finding is the issues appear to manifest themselves differently on different machines. We have switched to using UI Automation mode , and is seems to behave more reliantly as opposed to Browser Mode.  However the challeng with switching to UI Automation mode is that identifying elements on the page may not be as easy and dependent on  how developers designed specific web pages, as them may be inconsitent.

-Arkady

Arkady Dudko

Hi Arkady

In my experience, we've had a lot of similar issues. Even if you upgrade to 6.7 you may find that Chrome then updates to a newer, unsupported version so it will be tricky to keep up unless you can grant an exclusion to that policy on the interactive clients and runtimes. Ideally you would run a browser on those machines that didn't update and could be kept secure by only visiting trusted websites.

Craig Farley
Partner Apps Manager
IPI
Europe/London