cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encryption Scheme Method

AnthonyCamargo2
Level 3
Hello, In my Application Server when I log into blue prism under Security - Encryption Schemes it shows Encryption Scheme: Credentials Key, and next to it the Method shows: , Key location: Server, Status: Available. I'm able to start up my blue prism server service and connect to my database but I'm not sure why it says Unresolved key? And I'm wondering if this will cause me any issues down the line? When I make a new key and select the database option, the Method field is populated. Does anyone know why this is and how I can fix it to show the correct method? I'm using v 5.0.30 I've also checked the automate.config file and I've noticed that the key i've generated doesn't match the key shown in the config file. Not sure if this is the way it's supposed to be but my server service still starts up so I don't think it's a problem, I hope. And every time I hit generate key it always changes that key but not to the one shown on my Server Utility. Thanks, Anthony
5 REPLIES 5

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
If you are using an Application Server (which we strongly recommend) you should be storing your encryption keys on the Application Server rather than in the database. Storing encryption keys in the database is less secure because you are effectively ""storing the key on top of the safe"". You set up your Application Server encryption keys in the config app for the app server (where you will also have configured the database connection the app server uses). Full details of setting up encyryption schemes for the app server (rather than the stand alone db config) is given in details in the installation guide - Blue Prism User Guide - Installing v5.0 Enterprise Edition

Hello, I am storing my encryption key on the application server. My question was as to why it shows unresolved key? Even though I've stored my key on the server and my server service was configured and is running. The reason I talked about using database server is because when I change the key to the database server it doesn't show it as unresolved key. Thanks, Anthony

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
Could it be that the server was set up using a different user with heightened priviledges and the user you are now using to log into the app server does not have the priviledges to access the key file created by the other user?

AnthonyCamargo2
Level 3
Hi Dennis, I originally made the app server signed on my account and I checked again and just in case I gave it all the privileges and it still shows unresolved key. But what is weird is that it shows resolved key when I select the database instead of app server. And I assume that the privilege rights should affect it the same way? Do you have any other ideas I could try? I created this on a virtual machine using VMware Player if that makes any difference. Thanks, Anthony Camargo

Juan_LuisTrelle
Level 4
You can't create encryption schemes login blue prism in the server machine, you need to connect to the server from another machine with the admin user, and the create the scheme.