SHRADDHAGALGHAT
Level 3
Hello,

I am not able to install  Blue Prism Learning Edition
I am getting following error.
The file '' is invalid

Error Details: 
    BluePrism.BPCoreLib.InvalidArgumentException: The file '' is invalid
   at BluePrism.AutomateAppCore.LocalDatabaseInstaller.CreateInstance()
   at BluePrism.AutomateAppCore.LocalDatabaseInstaller.FullInstall(String username, SafeString password)
   at AutomateUI.WelcomeWizard.i(Object imn, DoWorkEventArgs imo)

Please help me on this.

Thanks,
Shraddha Galghate

------------------------------
SHRADDHA GALGHATE
1 BEST ANSWER

Helpful Answers

Hello Shraddha,

Thank you for the extra information.

We seem to have resolved the original error "The file '' is invalid".  I suspect the restart resolved this as, thanks to your screenshot, we can see that Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB was installed today and your other screenshots show the registry key is setup correctly.

However, you now have a different error "An error occurred whilst configuring Blue Prism localdb", which I do not recognise.

Questions:

1. Can you please share the detail of the new error?

I'm hopeful that there is something in the error which indicates the problem you are facing. 

Workaround:

If not, as you want a quick resolution, the following will workaround the problem by switching you to Enterprise mode.  Which may be beneficial as I see you already have SQL Server installed on your computer.

1. Close Blue Prism
  2. Open the Windows registry and rename the LocalDB registry key to donotuseLocalDB
    • Tip: The LocalDB registry key is located in: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blue Prism Limited\Automate 
    • This will prevent Blue Prism from trying to setup a Trial and / or Learning Edition database for you.
  3. Open Blue Prism
  4. Follow the online help topic for Standalone deployment
    1. Note: This is more techie than we want for a simple Trial and Learning Edition setup but may get you up and running faster.

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

View answer in original post

11 REPLIES 11

chris.strong
Staff
Staff

Hello Shraddha,

We saw this error for the first time in February 2020.

Error: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Resolution: Restart computer and reopen Blue Prism

Root Cause: We believe the computers impacted would recently have had a Windows update that requires a restart.  If a restart is not preformed, then new items that go into the Windows Registry go to a 'Virtual Area' until a restart is performed.  Therefore, our Database setup is unable to read the Key which states where the location of the MS SQL Server 2017 LocalDB is.

Other Community posts:

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hi Chris,

I have tried below resolution but the error Still persists.

Thanks and Regards,

Shraddha K. Galghate  ITIL®
Configuration Management Consultant
IBM, ETZ-Hinjewadi,Pune
Mob no: 9096420362

------Original Message------

Hello Shraddha,

Error: Blue Prism Trial and Learning Edition: Database Setup Error: The file '' is invalid

Root Cause: We believe the computers impacted would recently have had a Windows update that requires a restart.  If a restart is not preformed, then new items that go into the Windows Registry go to a 'Virtual Area' until a restart is performed.  Therefore, our Database setup is unable to read the Key which states where the location of the MS SQL Server 2017 LocalDB is.

Other Community posts:

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hello Shraddha,

Oh no, that's not what I expected.  Everyone else who has restarted their computer, has resolved the issue.

Not to worry, we'll go back to basics and start off with some troubleshooting steps we've previously used.

Questions:

1. Is this a brand-new installation on the computer for the first time or are you attempting to re-install?
  2. What operating system are you running on?
    • Tip: A screenshot, using Windows search and searching winver will provide this information.

Rationale for asking: The information may help us narrow down the cause of the issue.

Steps to troubleshoot:

1. Check whether Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB is installed
    • Tip: Windows Settings > Apps & features

If Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB is not installed, move to next step:

1. Check that Blue Prism has deployed the Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB installer to your computer
    • By default, this is C:\Program Files\Blue Prism Limited\Blue Prism Automate\Installers\SqlLocalDB.msi
    • Where C:\Program Files is the location you choose to install Blue Prism
  2. Check the following Windows registry key is correct:
    • Tip: Windows search and searching regedit will bring up the Windows Registry Editor
    • Open the Location: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blue Prism Limited\Automate
    • Review the Data set in the LocalDB registry key

My guess right now is that the LocalDB key exists, but the data is not set correctly to the location of Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB.  If this is the case, populating the Data in the key may resolve, but not actually tell us what caused the issue in the first place.

Let me know how you get on with the above and either myself or another community member will attempt to help further.

Screenshot: 

10861.png

10862.png

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hello,

I do need this installation to happen as soon as possible.

There is an ETA over getting done with the Blue Prism Foundation level by organization.

Could you please look into it on priority?
If requires we can connect - please let me know.

Thanks and Regards,

IBM, ETZ-Hinjewadi,Pune

Hello Shraddha,

Other Community posts:

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hi Chris,

1.I have tried several times to install but none of the time it got successful.
2. I am working on Windows 10 OS.

JYI
I do have SQL local db installed-
10866.gif

The key I have checked is given below-
10867.gif
Still getting following error:

10868.gif

Please let me know if anything else is needed.

Thanks and Regards,

IBM, ETZ-Hinjewadi,Pune

Hello Shraddha,

Oh no, that's not what I expected.  Everyone else who has restarted their computer, has resolved the issue.

Not to worry, we'll go back to basics and start off with some troubleshooting steps we've previously used.

Questions:

1. Is this a brand-new installation on the computer for the first time or are you attempting to re-install?
  2. What operating system are you running on?
    • Tip: A screenshot, using Windows search and searching winver will provide this information.

Rationale for asking: The information may help us narrow down the cause of the issue.

Steps to troubleshoot:

1. Check whether Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB is installed
    • Tip: Windows Settings > Apps & features

If Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB is not installed, move to next step:

1. Check that Blue Prism has deployed the Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB installer to your computer
    • By default, this is C:\Program Files\Blue Prism Limited\Blue Prism Automate\Installers\SqlLocalDB.msi
    • Where C:\Program Files is the location you choose to install Blue Prism
  2. Check the following Windows registry key is correct:
    • Tip: Windows search and searching regedit will bring up the Windows Registry Editor
    • Open the Location: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blue Prism Limited\Automate
    • Review the Data set in the LocalDB registry key

My guess right now is that the LocalDB key exists, but the data is not set correctly to the location of Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB.  If this is the case, populating the Data in the key may resolve, but not actually tell us what caused the issue in the first place.

Let me know how you get on with the above and either myself or another community member will attempt to help further.

Screenshot: 

10869.png

10870.png

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hello Shraddha,

We seem to have resolved the original error "The file '' is invalid".  I suspect the restart resolved this as, thanks to your screenshot, we can see that Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB was installed today and your other screenshots show the registry key is setup correctly.

However, you now have a different error "An error occurred whilst configuring Blue Prism localdb", which I do not recognise.

Questions:

I'm hopeful that there is something in the error which indicates the problem you are facing. 

Workaround:

If not, as you want a quick resolution, the following will workaround the problem by switching you to Enterprise mode.  Which may be beneficial as I see you already have SQL Server installed on your computer.

1. Close Blue Prism
  2. Open the Windows registry and rename the LocalDB registry key to donotuseLocalDB
    • Tip: The LocalDB registry key is located in: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Blue Prism Limited\Automate 
    • This will prevent Blue Prism from trying to setup a Trial and / or Learning Edition database for you.
  3. Open Blue Prism
    1. Note: This is more techie than we want for a simple Trial and Learning Edition setup but may get you up and running faster.

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hi Chris,

I am getting below error:

BluePrism.DatabaseInstaller.DatabaseInstallerException: Unable to determine whether database exists - A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 50 - Local Database Runtime error occurred. Error occurred during LocalDB instance startup: SQL Server process failed to start.

)
   at BluePrism.DatabaseInstaller.Installer.CheckDatabaseExists()
   at BluePrism.AutomateAppCore.LocalDatabaseInstaller.get_DatabaseExists()
   at BluePrism.AutomateAppCore.LocalDatabaseInstaller.get_UpgradeOnly()
   at AutomateUI.BPApplication.Start(String[] args)

On further attemps I got:
10887.gif
Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,

IBM, ETZ-Hinjewadi,Pune

Hello Shraddha,

Questions:

Workaround:

1. Close Blue Prism
  3. Open Blue Prism

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hello Shraddha,

OK, so we know we resolved the first issue and now we're hitting an issue with Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB.  Unfortunately, we need this part working to automatically create the Blue Prism database to hold your data.

So, we're going to completely strip Blue Prism off your computer by uninstalling it and removing all the files so that when we reinstall, we are trusting that all the right file and folder permissions are setup correctly.

The following steps are extracted from 6.7 Getting started | Blue Prism Trial and Learning Editions (Page 6)

Completely strip and then reinstall Blue Prism:

1. Uninstall Blue Prism using the Windows Add or remove programs system settings
  2. Open the command line (Press Windows+X to open the Power Users menu, and then click "Command Prompt" or "Command Prompt (Admin).")
    1. Run the following commands to stop and remove the local database instance:
      1. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\sqllocaldb" stop blueprismlocaldb
      2. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\sqllocaldb" delete blueprismlocaldb
  3. Open Windows Explorer and Remove the following configuration folders:
    1. C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Blue Prism Limited
    2. C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Blue Prism Limited
    3. C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\BluePrismLocalDB
    4. C:\ProgramData\Blue Prism Limited
  4. Uninstall Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB using the Windows Add or remove programs system settings
  5. Restart your computer
    1. We're doing this step to be extra certain that there are no more pending restarts.
  6. Install Blue Prism Learning Edition again

This should install Blue Prism, then ask you for a password to use with your Blue Prism admin user account, install LocalDB and set you up a Blue Prism database.

(Only use the following if the database setup fails again)

If the database setup fails again and you want a quicker resolution, the following will workaround the problem by switching you from Learning Edition to Enterprise install mode.  Which may be beneficial as I see you already have SQL Server installed on your computer.

Note: You'll still have Blue Prism Learning Edition, there is just extra steps to create a database.

Workaround:

1. Close Blue Prism
  2. Open the Windows registry and rename the LocalDB registry key so donotuseLocalDB
    1. This will prevent Blue Prism from trying to setup a Trial and Learning Edition database for you.
  3. Open Blue Prism

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism

Hi Chris,

I have uninstalled everything. Restarted the system as well.

Will try reinstallation and will let you know the updates.(process is running little slow)

Meanwhile wanted to know license will be sent in here only?(Learning Edition)
I have logged in to
But has not received the license yet.

Please let me know.

Thanks and Regards,
.Shraddha K. Galghate  ITIL®
IBM, ETZ-Hinjewadi,Pune

Hello Shraddha,

OK, so we know we resolved the first issue and now we're hitting an issue with Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB.  Unfortunately, we need this part working to automatically create the Blue Prism database to hold your data.

So, we're going to completely strip Blue Prism off your computer by uninstalling it and removing all the files so that when we reinstall, we are trusting that all the right file and folder permissions are setup correctly.

The following steps are extracted from 6.7 Getting started | Blue Prism Trial and Learning Editions (Page 6)

Completely strip and then reinstall Blue Prism:

1. Uninstall Blue Prism using the Windows Add or remove programs system settings
  2. Open the command line (Press Windows+X to open the Power Users menu, and then click "Command Prompt" or "Command Prompt (Admin).")
    1. Run the following commands to stop and remove the local database instance:
      1. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\sqllocaldb" stop blueprismlocaldb
      2. "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\sqllocaldb" delete blueprismlocaldb
  3. Open Windows Explorer and Remove the following configuration folders:
    1. C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Blue Prism Limited
    2. C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Blue Prism Limited
    3. C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server Local DB\Instances\BluePrismLocalDB
    4. C:\ProgramData\Blue Prism Limited
  4. Uninstall Microsoft SQL Server 2017 LocalDB using the Windows Add or remove programs system settings
  5. Restart your computer
    1. We're doing this step to be extra certain that there are no more pending restarts.
  6. Install Blue Prism Learning Edition again

This should install Blue Prism, then ask you for a password to use with your Blue Prism admin user account, install LocalDB and set you up a Blue Prism database.

(Only use the following if the database setup fails again)

If the database setup fails again and you want a quicker resolution, the following will workaround the problem by switching you from Learning Edition to Enterprise install mode.  Which may be beneficial as I see you already have SQL Server installed on your computer.

Note: You'll still have Blue Prism Learning Edition, there is just extra steps to create a database.

Workaround:

1. Close Blue Prism
  2. Open the Windows registry and rename the LocalDB registry key so donotuseLocalDB
    1. This will prevent Blue Prism from trying to setup a Trial and Learning Edition database for you.
  3. Open Blue Prism

Chris Strong
Product Manager
Blue Prism