cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error using the MS Excel VBO

PatrickMueller
Level 3
Hi everyone, I am facing the following issue: We are getting an error message every time we call the Action "Open Workbook" from BO MS Excel VBO which came with the version 5.0.33.0 We always get: ERROR: Internal : Could not execute code stage because exception thrown by code stage: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. It does not matter if we try to access xls or xlsx or even plain csv €“ that exception is thrown and we cannot find any hint about what the issue could be. The version we are using is 5.0.33.0 & .Net Framework 4.0.30319.42 installed on Windows Server 2012 R2 with Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 The funny thing is we have an identical installation where it works without any issue. I already opened a support ticket with BP but they were not able to help me there - also checking the EventLogs and BP Logs did not show any entries. We have already tried to un- and re-install the .Net Framework and Office but with the same result. Hope anyone can help me to find the actual issue.
12 REPLIES 12

Denis__Dennehy
Level 15
Hello, Support for Office 2016/365 is on the roadmap. It is likely to be supported by the end of the year/beginning of next year. For new versions of Office or Windows OS or Micosoft SQL Server etc. I recommend keeping an eye on our product release notes and not using them as part of your Blue Prism platform until the have been certified for use.

MadsMeyer
Level 3
Hi, We have the same issue. It has worked with Excel 2016 but suddenly it stopped working. Any help on how to fix this or what the issue could be?

MadsMeyer
Level 3
Hi, We have the same issue. It has worked with Excel 2016 but suddenly it stopped working. Any help on how to fix this or what the issue could be?

PatrickMueller
Level 3
I really hope to get some help here - I really don't know what to do - it is working on some machines - is there any .NET log that can be checked - unfortunately in the Event Viewer there is no entry at all....

DamianStankiewi
Level 2
Hi, have you found any solution? I have the same issue. Already tried a couple of methods for loading from Excel and nothing works. The workaround I used is to get the source data in CSV and use Utility - File Management ""Get CSV Text As Collection"". But it doesn't solve the problem itself.

AnatoliyBanniko
Level 4
Try to restart your PC 😉 I had same problem, it helped.

DamianStankiewi
Level 2
I restarted my PC, reinstalled Office and BluePrism and nothing helped so far. This weekend I'll try to repair Windows, maybe one of the system files got corrupted? 😕

PatrickMueller
Level 3
Yes restarting doesn't change anything...do you have SQLExpress installed on that machine as well ? I did some testing...clean Windows 2012 R2 installation and BluePrism and a Remote SQL Instance - it works - both with Office 2013 and Office 2016....once I install SQL Express and create a local instance of the DB it stops working....

Anonymous
Not applicable
I didn't try Patrick's solution, but got my own - in my case the problem was with Excel VBO from BluePrism versions 5.0.32 and 5.0.33. If you use Excel VBO from version 5.0.30 or older it works like a charm. 🙂