cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting Data into a Collection

PhilElliott
Level 3
Afternoon All, Is it possible to extract data from an Excel worksheet into the initial values table of a collection? If not can you transfer the current table values over to the initial values table? I can see no way of doing either. Thank you. Phil.
2 REPLIES 2

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
No there isn't Phil, and yes, that would be nice. I will mail you an idea for a workaround.

IvanGordeyev
Level 5
There is a way of doing it. But please experiment with a small amount of data to understand how fragile this is. Create collection 1 on page 1 and have three or four default values (initial values). Copy and paste it into a notepad. Create collection 2 on page 2 and load your data. Copy this collection into a notepad also. You will then be able to compare an xml looking structure. Now for this to work, the spaces, line breaks and everything else must be identical on every line. You can then copy over the current values from collection 2 into notepad with collection 1. (Or the safer option use notepad find and replace function in excel or notepad, but again ensure there is no formatting) Then copy and paste it and you will get the initial values. I did this to cross check UK cities and counties and understandably it saved me a lot of time. Please note that any change in formatting or structure will make copy and paste unusable.