cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have question on "Priority"

NewStudent
Level 4
Dear Team,

I have a 1 Main Process having 12 sub Process .. Different Sub Process has different tags having Priority 0 and 1 .
My Question over here is, can we have 2 different priorities say(Priority '0' and '1') for 1 tag?
(ie) Tag "ARF" having Priority 0 as well 1 running on the Work Queue ?
If yes ,
1)what does it do ?
2)Will there be any impact to other sub processes ?

Thanks in advance !!!

Regards,
AA

------------------------------
Aarthy A
4 REPLIES 4

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Tags have no direct relation to processes, they are only applicable to work queues.

Tags are intended as labels to classify queue items and the Tag Filter parameter of the Get Next Item action can be used to select the next item with a particular tag. This means your could design a process to work all items tagged with 'ABC' before those tagged as 'XYZ'.

Queue items can also be created with a priority number. By default items have equal priority and Get Next Item retrieves them in FIFO order. But by applying a priority you can override the default order. You could use both a tag and a priority value to control the Get Next Item order.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism

1) If you have 2 items with same Tag called ARF but both of them has different priority e.g. 0 and 1 then item will be picked based on Priority (Lower number higher priority). If no priority set and it is set as default which is 0 then item will be picked in FIFO order. So here whatever Tag is there does not matter.

2) Of course you can have 2 priority set for same Tag (But not on same work item)

3) I don't think there will be any impact on process level because this will only impact the order item is picked from Work Queue. So all 0 priority item will be picked and then 1 priority item.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,
Tejaskumar Darji

If you use priorities and have an unexpectedly large volume of high priority items are all the other items in the work queue stalled until all the highest priority items in the queue are serviced? Or does the priority process use some form of weighted round robin queuing to ensure all process get at least some level of processing time?
My fear is that by adding priorities we could inadvertently delay or even stop all the other processes until 100% of the top priority items are serviced.

Kevin O'Shea

Kevin yes that is the risk with priorities - if you keep adding P1s then your P2s may never get worked. There's no in-built logic that says 'this P2 has been at pending since Monday so prioritise it over the P1s that arrived today'. Not can you say 'forget the priorities I set when I created the items and get the next FIFO item'.

John Carter
Professional Services
Blue Prism