cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE - File downloading with partial data

SyedAbu
Level 3
Hi,

I am Working with Oracle app from where I am exporting the file which triggers the Save As popup on Internet Explorer.

The issue I am facing is when I download the file(Excel csv) from Save As window popup in IE, the file download completes without any error, but the files are downloading with partial data(incomplete data) ..for ex: the actual file will be of 442 kb size...but the downloaded file will be of 10 kb.....

I have tried to capture the Save As window elements (Save Button, Filename textbox etc) with different spy modes (Win32, AA)...but still the files are downloading partial......No issue while downloading the file manually it downloads with complete data.

Any help on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Syed

------------------------------
? ?
?
Ey
Asia/Kolkata
9 REPLIES 9

TetsujiJunicho
Level 9
Hi,

Why don't you spy the notification or information bar of IE and wait until the message on the bar or the name of buttons on the bar change when download completes?

Tetsuji Junicho
Manager of RPA Practice Grp.
Accenture Japan
Asia/Tokyo

Hi Thank you so much for the response!

Actually file download is completing without any error......but the saved file size is of lesser size than the actual size.

When the Save File Popup opens ...when I click on save button manually file will be downloaded completely with the actual size(442 kb size file saves 442kb )....same step when I perform using navigate stage, file saves partially (442 kb size file saves 10kb size)...and it is not like file download is still continuing....the file download completes saving the file partially

? ?
?
Ey
Asia/Kolkata

Hi,

Then I'm not sure, but why don't you put an arbitrary Wait Stage before clicking the Save Button?

Tetsuji Junicho
Manager of RPA Practice Grp.
Accenture Japan
Asia/Tokyo

DaveMorris
Level 14
It sounds to me as though something is not actually being done the same between what is done manually and what the bot does. I would think that clicking the save button isn't the issue but that whatever action generated the save window to popup is different.

Have you tested it in debug mode where you switch around the actions that are done manually? For example, if you're clicking a link or button in the webpage, first try manually clicking the button to bring up the Save As popup. Then in Blue Prism attach to the popup/browser and perform just the one step required for the bot to click the Save button.

If it fails still, try doing a global mouse click (if you're not already) and try the same test again. If it still doesn't work, do the same test again but try having the bot send keys ALT+S to save. If it still doesn't work, I've no idea and I'll join the at-the-end-of-my-guesses club with Tetsuji.

I feel like one of those will work though. So, crossing my fingers that it does. You'd be able to narrow down that it's something about how you're generating the save as popup or how you're filling in the save location. The next thing I'd try is to have the bot cause the Save As popup to occur, and then I'd manually put in the save location and click save. This could be very telling if the download doesn't work for you manually at this point. That would mean the bot is not actually clicking the same thing you are so some experimentation would be appropriate.

I don't normally like to give suggestions that I have no idea will or will not work, but it sounds like that's pretty frustrating for you and that you'll want any suggestions you can get.

Dave Morris
3Ci @ Southern Company
Atlanta, GA
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA

sumire
Level 8
Hi

Sometimes I get .partial file like you
when trying to download large size file.
It completes without any error same as you.

I found when I get .partial file I close IE even though download is not completed.
So I think this is due to IE issues.
Keep IE open until confirming existence of downloaded file.

Mitsuko 
Asia/Tokyo
Mitsuko
Asia/Tokyo

​Sometimes Global mouse click Centre & Click Centre and Set checked & Global mouse click Centre perform different actions. I would try to Mimic the manual process from selecting file to download and till download completes. If you are doing Set Checked for the file to be downloaded would suggest to give Global mouse click centre. Also do detach and try to attach only Popup window.

Rajesh kumar Muthineni
RPA Developer
Highmark Health
America/Chicago

We have followed the same approach suggested by Mitsuka in the past and it works. If we know the name of the file that is downloaded and the path where it is going to be saved, once download is started, using the File Management VBO, get the file name from folder, check if it shows partial in the name or already downloaded. If partial wait for few seconds and read again, repeat for a configurable number of retries until the file download is confirmed. Close IE only after the file is fully downloaded or even if need to navigate to some other link do that only after confirmed download.

Johny Jain
IT Solution Engineer
Kimberly Clark
Asia/Kolkata

SyedAbu
Level 3
Hi,

I would like thank each one of you (Tetsuji Junicho, David Morris, Mitsuko Kurata, Rajesh kumar, Johny Jain) for taking out your valuable time and helping with your inputs & suggestions, really appreciate that.

The issue is resolved now.

I was able to finally figure out the thing which was causing the files to download partially. 

I had the arbitrary wait  of 20 seconds when switching between apps (Oracle app to Internet ), at the stage when we click Export button in Oracle app which will then take us to Save as dialog in the internet explorer...decreased the static wait from 20 seconds to 5 seconds which resolved the issue.

This was little strange to me, must be something to do with Oracle app where they have set some kind of timeout for downloading the files.

Thanks,
Syed

? ?
?
Ey
Asia/Kolkata

Hi Syed,
Are you getting the same error again?

I am trying to download some files from a browser based Application. I am facing this issue for some scenarios. I increased static wait for 10 secs and the frequency reduced. However sometime I am getting this file and I am not able to proceed further.

Please help

Abhilash Swain
Automation Developer
Shell
Asia/Kolkata
Thanks, [FirstName] [City] [EmailAddress]