cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS Edge BP 6.8 Multiple web applications

philippeboutry
Level 4
Hi Everyone, 

I need your help to achieve the following results. My process use two web applications. They start at beginning of process and stop at the end of process execution.
We use Internet explorer and want to migrate to ms edge.

I start first or second web application using ms edge and interact with it without issue (one at a time). 
When i start both applications (i get two differents windows), the elements of the second application are no more recognized. 
I get on several elements "more than one element are found". It seems Blueprism search in both applications to find the element who match my application modeler element. 
I can resolve this issue by adding a match index to all elements (Match index = 1 for the first launched application and Match Index = 2 for the second) but it's a major impact to all BO. More over if another process have a different launch order, it will not work.

Do you know a method to be able to interact with two web applications with Ms edge like before with Iexplore without interference ? 

I precise, the Browser Connectivity Checkbox is CHECKED in my installation. Without it, i can't spy any HTML elements at all.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
1 BEST ANSWER

Best Answers

bruce.liu
Staff
Staff
Hi Philippe,

Under modern browser mode, Blue Prism has access to elements on all open pages. This is one major difference to Internet Explorer. There are various ways you can work around that,

1. The basic idea is to introduce attributes to the element that would make it unique across all tabs, providing the those tabs displaying different contents. Web Page Address attribute can definitely help, like what Ami mentioned. I have found XPath/CSS Selector work really well in those circumstances as well, since you can take advantage of not only the element definition itself but also the relationship with the adjacent elements if needed.
  2. Tracking ID offered from Blue Prism v6.9 was introduced to address exactly this problem. While method 1 would work for majority of the instances, but it does not work if two web pages display exactly the same content. Tracking ID should ensure you only work with the specific instance of the browser as long as the browser was launched by Blue Prism itself. It is however not available if you are using browsers with a fixed port.

View answer in original post

7 REPLIES 7

KotaSuto1
Level 5
Hi,
the problem may be caused by the version 6.8.
The browser extension included in v6.8 has the known issue that the child page can't be spied if you use ephemeral ports in System Settings.
There is a possibility of resolving by enabling the setting "Use fixed browser extension port (31924) only" in System Settings or upgrading Blue Prism to v6.9(Browser Extension v2.2.0.7) later.
I hope this help you.

Release Note
Known Issues

EVIPUTI
MVP
Please see this article if it helps.
------------------------------ Vipul Tiwari Senior Process Simplification Developer Amazon ------------------------------

AmiBarrett
Level 12
My first recommendation would be to upgrade to newer versions of Blue Prism (particularly 7.x if you're going to do Edge/Chrome automation).

In the interim, are these two web applications different? I would think you could leverage the Web Page Address filter with a wildcard to differentiate which instance you're trying to interact with. Likewise, are these in the same window, or different windows? If they're tabs within the same window, you could probably also make use of the Web Tab Index filter.

philippeboutry
Level 4
Thank you Amy.
i have a majority of process who use several web applications at the same time.

If i summarise, using Edge instead of IE implies some changes in all my VBO (apart of the conversion it self) to add attributes that were not necessary previously. 
Do you agree?

AmiBarrett
Level 12
That's correct. The messaging interface, spy type, filter types and available data are all different as a result of changing to another browser. The higher the version of BP you're using though, the less of a headache you're likely to run into when making those changes.

bruce.liu
Staff
Staff
Hi Philippe,

Under modern browser mode, Blue Prism has access to elements on all open pages. This is one major difference to Internet Explorer. There are various ways you can work around that,

1. The basic idea is to introduce attributes to the element that would make it unique across all tabs, providing the those tabs displaying different contents. Web Page Address attribute can definitely help, like what Ami mentioned. I have found XPath/CSS Selector work really well in those circumstances as well, since you can take advantage of not only the element definition itself but also the relationship with the adjacent elements if needed.
  2. Tracking ID offered from Blue Prism v6.9 was introduced to address exactly this problem. While method 1 would work for majority of the instances, but it does not work if two web pages display exactly the same content. Tracking ID should ensure you only work with the specific instance of the browser as long as the browser was launched by Blue Prism itself. It is however not available if you are using browsers with a fixed port.

philippeboutry
Level 4
Thanks a lot for your answer