cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple BP in one Machine

NagarjunaAtukur
Level 4
Hi, is it possible to install two Blue Prism softwares (different versions) in one machine/vdm?
5 REPLIES 5

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
No. All BP element must be the same version.

NagarjunaAtukur
Level 4
I mean, currently I'm using version 5 in my machine. Is it possible to install version 6 on same machine without replacing version 5? PS: Using multiple blue prism version on same resource pc.

John__Carter
Staff
Staff
Maybe you can have the x86 and x64 installed in separate locations but the system is not designed to exist with another version still in place.

We found that this is possible.  We installed version 5 and 6.3 alongside each other. 

*We have not gotten this to work when we tried V6.3 and V6.10.1.

17590.png

I don't know that we needed to resurrect this post, but I agree that this is a topic that deserves some discussion. I know a lot of people wonder about it.

Note that when I confirm that you technically can install multiple versions, I'm just coming from the perspective of it having worked for me. I'm not suggesting it's a great idea, and I'm pretty confident Blue Prism would not encourage it (as John Carter indicated).

I've had some mixed success when installing multiple versions together on the same machine. As Nathan said, you can choose a different location to install Blue Prism. I do it a little differently though. I always treat the most recent version as the core or standard version installed on my machine. When I go to upgrade, I copy the entire Blue Prism Automate folder and paste it into the Blue Prism Limited folder so that it creates a copy named like "Blue Prism Automate - Copy", and then (let's say I'm installing 6.10.1 from 6.9), I rename the copy folder to like Blue Prism Automate 6.9. And then the one that has no version called like "Blue Prism Automate" is the latest version that I just installed.

I have not put much effort into determining where all this can go wrong. But the main issue I've encountered is that the Connections Configuration file located at C:\ProgramData\Blue Prism Limited\Automate V3 can sometimes get corrupted when switching back and forth. Right now on my workstation at work, I have Blue Prism 6.5.1 and 6.10.1 installed at the same time and seem to have no issues. I can also open both at the same time and edit processes/objects in both versions at the same time.

This is what my personal machine's Blue Prism Limited folder looks like. The one with no version is v7.0.
17591.png

------------------------------
Dave Morris
Cano Ai
Atlanta, GA
------------------------------
Dave Morris 3Ci at Southern Company Atlanta, GA